Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
leaky gut ????'s

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

leaky gut ????'s

If I had a colonoscopy (three years ago) would it have shown up if I had leaky gut syndrome?  Or since it seems to be the general consensus that medical doctors don't recognize it, would they still see something they would recognize as needing treatment?  Also, if I do have a candida overgrowth in my colon, would I normally have other symptoms like vaginal yeast infections, ulcers and or thrush? The main symptoms I relate to are the bloating and excessive gas and I have dealt with that for years trying to figure out what was causing it. But a new symptom I am experiencing is all over itching. Not like other itches I've had, this seems like it's almost more "internal?" if that makes any sense. It started right after I had a severe case of what I thought was hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) flaring up, but the hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) itched worse than anything I ever experienced, and seemed to involve my entire groin and bottom area, even internally. Right after I took the cortisone foam RX the doctor called in, this "all over" itching started.  I started taking Loratadine when I couldn't find any other way of stopping it, and WOW, my digestive tract started feeling much better than it has in forever.  I am pretty sure it is the antihistamine, because if I stop taking it, my digestive tract starts to feel bad again, and the itching comes back.  I am so trying to figure this out, and that's how I came to this forum. I find it hard to believe I am really allergic to food at this stage in my life, although I know allergies can develop over time.  That's why I am intriqued by the explanation of the leaky gut causing "food allergy" symptoms. I will appreciate any and all the advice  and input I can get!!!!!
Generally, no.  I have this issue, too, but usually only natural doctors find this.  Conventional doctors don't recognize this issue or system wide Candidas until you're so sick you have to be hospitalized for the condition.

Leaky gut is not something the GI will be able to see with the colonoscopy either.  Your colon will appear normal and healthy.  We're generally lucky they even call it IBS if we have symptoms but the colon appears healthy.  "Lucky" because until IBS was recognized as a condition people were told the problems were just all in their heads.  So, we're lucky they don't label people like that any more.

With Leaky Gut, miniscule undigested food particles are able to pass through the walls of the intestines causing us these symptoms.  That's the best explanation I have for Leaky Gut.  Food isn't supposed to do this, but usually the inflammation makes this possible.  It's very hard to cure Leaky Gut.

I find it rather interesting that Loratadine (Claritin) is helpful.  Claritin doesn't help me, so I use Benadryl myself.  Usually, the Benadryl helps me more with the GERD, which is also related to food sensitivities and allergies than it does with the IBS.  I'm glad the Loratadine is helpful for you, though, since it isn't so sedating as the Benadryl is.  Usually, I reach for the Benadryl for the GERD instead of the PPI medication, because it's far safer than long term use of the PPI medications.  

If you Google the words Tyramine Intolerance, you will come across a website that will explain that this is something that affects people with migraines and/or IBS.  They should have a page about Leaky Gut, too.  I found it interesting, because the foods they listed as foods people with this condition are sensitive to are all things I most definitely am sensitive to.  I think you'll find the site to be helpful.