Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
small intestines dilated
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

small intestines dilated

I have Been diagnosed ibs and dyspepsia due to taking antibiotics. I recently had a laparoscopy for an ovarian cyst. The doc found that I had large intestines adhesion. My small intestine are extremely dilated. Does the dilation mean inflammation? Is all that because I have ibs or from something else? What causes dilated intestines?
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Adhesions in intestines occur due to prior surgeries. It can also occur due to previous infections or inflammations. IBS does not cause adhesions. Due to the adhesions, the bowel lumen may become narrow, this will cause the proximal bowel to distend or bloat up. If the adhesions are severe, it can cause bowel obstruction. So, please discuss this with your doctor. You may need further work up with a barium study or colonoscopy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank