sudden gas
I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I probably have IBS. I'm a 49 year old male. I have no stress & I haven't been able to attribute symptoms to any particular foods. I eat basically the same things but don't have problems all the time. My biggest issue in the last few years is that I will get a sudden "attack" of gas (it feels like a balloon in my gut) sometimes with diarrhea. It can happen at any time out of the blue. I had a colonoscopy & upper endoscopy 8 months ago and everything was fine. What can cause this? If it IS food related how do I know which meal is the cause? The most recent? 12 hours ago? 24 hours?
It is good that the colonoscopy & upper endoscopy have come normal. Management of IBS depends mainly on dietary modification. Foods high in soluble fibre form the basis of all meals and snacks, and are the first thing to eat on an empty stomach. Safe foods include rice and pasta, oatmeal, fresh white breads, rice cereals, flour and corn tortillas, carrots, yams, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Then, there are the trigger foods which are to be completely avoided. Consult a dietician for a diet chart. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
Well thank you, but this is word for word the exact same response as was given to someone else 2 years ago. A very limited, generic response. I expected something better from this website.