Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
unexplained weight gain, headaches, nausea, fatigue

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

I was originally treated for ulcers in college to find out I tested negative for the bacteria when I went to a specialist. The pain I felt with the faux ulcers was near unbearable. I felt like I was being burned alive and someone was tearing my insides apart. I than had massive bouts of diarrhea (took about 15mins after eating). The specialist wanted to treat me with medication but I refused because it was an old school tricyclic antidepressant and I did not want the side effects that go with it; fatigue and having to take it on a strict sch. I was a college student I did not have a " set sch" I worked full time and took 15-18 credits.
I changed my diet up and cut out dairy, fast food, caffiene. I was doing better for a few months. Now I have different symptoms. I eat a more balanced diet, I excercise, I manage my stress with daily meditation (I can lower my bloodpressure and heart rate) and I sleep more regurally. I have gained nearly 60lbs in a year now. I am on the same birthcontrol and I have a better job, I drive 2-5 hours a day and work in a progressive day service program for persons with high function ASP disorders, MR and other diagonsis.
I want to know what is up with the weight gain? I did everything my doctor ordered and I am at the heaviest I have ever weighed and I am starting to feel my old symptoms. I dont know what to do. I just want to weight off and to feel better. The headaches are aggrivating, the fatigue is hard I find myself sleepy while driving in the middle of the day like clock work. I am not pregnant although I am in a stable, healthy and happy marriage. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
My wife had the same symptoms only gained 30 pounds though. Also had fatigue, nausea, diarhea (diarrhea), bloating, and others. After a few years and many misdiagnosis by many different doctors we finally discovered she had celiac disease. It is basically an allergy to gluten which is in many grains 5 to be exact wheat, spelt, barley and 2 others. Your body sees the gluten as a toxin and triggers the immune systom to destroy it. Your immune system also destroys the villa in the small intestine which are responsible for absorbing nutrients into the body. Once these are destroyed your body no longer gets the nutrients it needs. Depending on which part of the small intestine goes first determines what symptoms you get. If you can no longer absord vitamin c you get one symptom if you can't absorb magnesium you get muscle and joint pain. I believe vitamin e gives you nausea. Anyway once your body stops absorbing nutrients it starts retaining water in the cells and thus causes the weight gain. Just be wary even after figuring this out we still met many scepticle doctors and the tests for it are very innacurate. The only sure way to test is to have and endoscopy and biopsy of the small intestine to look at the villa. In one test of 100 people with known celiac disease had these biopsies done and the doctors said only 50 had it so as you can see even that test is not all that accurrate. The only true test is to go gluten free for a month and see how you feel. My wife was in such bad shape she would have done anything. After only 2 days she felt 90 percent better and lost 20 pounds of the water weight gain in 3 weeks. She still accidently ingested gluten a few times and felt horrible that night but then got better again and no more problems. No more normal breads or pastas but they do make these gluten free out of corn and rice and there pretty good. THey are sold at health food stores and even meijers and krogers. THe gluten was in soy sauce who would have thought and barly malt in some rice krispies she had. Just read the ingredients and allergy info on the nutritional chart. For more info on celiac disease go to web md and put it in the search engine to verify.

Good luck hope you feel better