30% kidney function
My daughter is 5 and was told by a urologist earlier this month that she has 30% kidney function on the right side with some pretty bad scarring. The doctor didn't seem to be concerned at all but after some research I found out that 59%-30% is moderate kidney insufficiency so my question is about how long will it be until she'll need dyalasis (sp?) or a transplant? Last December we were told that her kidneys were next to perfect.
How is your daughter? What other symptoms are present? Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease while a GFR result below 15 mL/min/1.73 m2 is a sign of kidney failure and requires immediate medical attention. If her kidneys were okay last december, it is best that further evaluation be done to determine the underlying cause.  The length of time prior to kidney failure depends on a variety of factors including the diagnosis, symptoms present, results of other diagnostic tests and overall health. Seeking another specialist's opinion may also help,   Take care and do keep us posted.