Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
4 year old with trace blood and +3 Protein in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My four year old has been quite sick on two occasions in the past couple of months. We are seeing a doctor and a pediatric urologist. She will be having a VCUG in a couple of weeks.

Her only symptoms seem to be a very high fever, and the headaches she gets from the fever.

The first time, she had a UTI- I did not actually hear what they saw, just that it was a UTI. She went to a urologist a few weeks later when she was well, and that day there was blood in her urine. A few weeks after that, everything seemed fine. Then, she started getting sick again, and this time they saw blood and +3 protein in her urine. She is on strong antibiotics, and will stay on them until after her VCUG.

My question is this- Can an infection be causing the blood and protien in her urine? Or would the blood and protein have to be from something else that could also causing an infection? I have spent hours trying to look for info online, and I still find myself completely confused on the subject.
Also, I am having trouble finding what the numbers mean/matter. It sounds like +1 can be a regular UTI? But the + only goes to +4? So is +3 unreasonably high for a child?

I am not sure how worried to be. I know she has good doctors, and we will see that she has the VCUG and any treatment she needs, if any. I just hoped someone here could help ease my mind while we wait to see what's going on.

Thanks.
We spoke with the doctor today. Her urine culture came back showing no infection, so it's not an infection causing the protein and blood. I don't know what to think.