Aa
A
A
Close
4 year old with trace blood and +3 Protein in urine
My four year old has been quite sick on two occasions in the past couple of months. We are seeing a doctor and a pediatric urologist. She will be having a VCUG in a couple of weeks.

Her only symptoms seem to be a very high fever, and the headaches she gets from the fever.

The first time, she had a UTI- I did not actually hear what they saw, just that it was a UTI. She went to a urologist a few weeks later when she was well, and that day there was blood in her urine. A few weeks after that, everything seemed fine. Then, she started getting sick again, and this time they saw blood and +3 protein in her urine. She is on strong antibiotics, and will stay on them until after her VCUG.

My question is this- Can an infection be causing the blood and protien in her urine? Or would the blood and protein have to be from something else that could also causing an infection? I have spent hours trying to look for info online, and I still find myself completely confused on the subject.
Also, I am having trouble finding what the numbers mean/matter. It sounds like +1 can be a regular UTI? But the + only goes to +4? So is +3 unreasonably high for a child?

I am not sure how worried to be. I know she has good doctors, and we will see that she has the VCUG and any treatment she needs, if any. I just hoped someone here could help ease my mind while we wait to see what's going on.

Thanks.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
We spoke with the doctor today. Her urine culture came back showing no infection, so it's not an infection causing the protein and blood. I don't know what to think.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
Top Digestive Answerers
Blank
fntn