Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
5mm kidney stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

5mm kidney stone

I was in the ER Thursday where I was diagnosed with a 5mm kidney stone in my right side. The Dr. said it had pretty much made it's journey.  They said it was probably from the extra calcium supplements i kept taking along with the prenatals after I had my baby. Is there a time frame I should expect it to finally make an exit or can it stay for long periods?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? Majority of stones 4 mm or less in size usually will pass spontaneously, however 99% of stones larger than 6 mm will require some form of intervention. There are various measures that can be used to encourage the passage of a stone such as:  increased hydration, medication for treating infection and reducing pain, and diuretics to encourage urine flow and prevent further stone formation.

In most cases, a smaller stone that is not symptomatic is often given up to four weeks to move or pass. Otherwise, surgical intervention is considered because waiting longer tends to lead to additional complications. It would be best to have a follow-up with your doctor within these time for further evaluation. Take care and regards.