Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
6 year old with recurrent UTI's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

6 year old with recurrent UTI's

My daughter has been batteling UTI's for 2 years now. I am at my wits end with the doctors but it is hard to switch because there are no other pediatric nephrologists/urologists unless we drive almost 2 hours. We are already traveling 1 hour. It all started 2 years ago, She had about 8-9 Uti's within a 15 month period. She was given every type of antibiotic- bactrum, macrobid, macrodantin ect, ect. Always the same result, the infection would return within a month or so. Last November a UTI turned into a horrible kidney infection that ended up in her being admitted to the childrens hospital for 5 days. The diagnosis I recieved was overactive bladder. I disagree with this because, she does not use the bathroom frequently, no more so than any of my other girls did. I told the doctors this, but their reasoning for the overactive bladder was that she gets bad urgency and she "leaks" . Now, even at 4 she knew when she was getting a UTI, everytime she was the one who told me "mommy I have another pee infection ( as she calls them) , it's burning really bad ." Since Janurary she has been Macrodantin coming off once in may, only to get another infection. Only this time she could not tell she had the infection, I could because there was a foul smell to her urine. She has also been on Detrol since Janurary with no changes, still leaking and still the urgency. Now here we are in almost October a year later, off the Macro. and infected again,( and she can't feel it again) this time I just know that it is turning into a Kidney infection again. She is starting to get the high fevers and shaking chills, with nausea. She has an appointment for tomorrow at 5:30 pm ( earliest they could see her) I am just wondering what could be causeing these? They did check her for reflux which they said was negative. Any advice is appreciatted.
I am going through almost the exact same thing with my little girl!  Same medications with the same results.  Our urologist felt that it was mostly due to constipation and put her on a laxative.  I wish it could have been that easy!  We've had two more UTI's since then three months ago.  I worry all the time and am constantly checking for the symptoms.  (We also had the kidney infection hospital stay).  There has GOT to be a better answer than this!  Anyone who can offer us help will be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like reflux to me. I would get a 2nd opinion despite the long drive. Kidney damage can occur, and it's avoidable if you are diagnosed properly. Surgery might be needed to reinplant the ureters into the bladder, but it can be done laproscopically and lessen the recovery time.  
http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1301/mainpageS1301P0.html
http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tphealth/0,,hfjn,00.html
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppchdkidney?ice=ivl,searchmb