Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
9mm stone still inside kidney - can it pass?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I was diagnosed with having a 9mm stone inside my right kidney. Since then, I've had bouts of pain in my back and lower abdomen. After one such painful time, my urologist booked me for an emergency ultrasound and it came back showing no hydronephrosis and no visible stone. He tells me that the stone either passed or is still in a place inside my kidney that is not causing any damage, so he's not overly worried and booked me for a followup after a few months. Meanwhile, my back and abdominal pain still come and go. Two questions, can a stone that size cause pain even if it's still inside the kidney (regardless of what the urologist says) by just moving around inside there and is it even possible that a stone that size can even make it into the ureter, much less try and pass?
It's highly improbable that you'll pass a 9mm stone, if not impossible. And yes... a stone "bouncing around" inside your kidney (renal cavity) can cause pain. Your doctor will tell you that it's 'not supposed' to cause pain, but take it from me... it'll cause pain. Not a constant pain, mind you, but more of a colicy (on & off) pain.

When the stone decides to descend, it'll get hung up in your ureter, and they'll have to go in and get it. Now THAT will be painful (the stone getting hung up). That'll cause hydronephrosis and cause you quite a large amount of pain. Just keep on top of it and be prepared to take a trip to the ER when you start feeling the wrath of the descending stone.

Good luck to you.