Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Anemia from blood in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Anemia from blood in urine

8607744?1355191544
With "frank" blood in urine for most of the past 4 months, could this lead to anemia? I have had tests done (IVP, ultrasound, cystoscopy, blood work and urinalysis) back in October but no cause found for the bleeding. I have a routine pap scheduled for next week and wonder if I should ask about a blood test. I do feel a heavy kind of fatigue, have nagging headaches and my heart arrhythmias seem to be acting up more than my norm. Not sure if any of that is related. Attached is a photo of a urine sample I caught today about 11:30 in the morning.
Had more testing done (blecchh). Blood work showed no anemia but extremely low vit D and B 12 levels. Not sure why I'm having that problem. A urine sample (that I thought looked pretty darn good) checked out at 4+ (UA Hgb). On it goes. Will see the dreaded urologist again in Feb. I do hope they figure it out some day.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Were there any crystals in the urine examination? Also, uric acid stones can be missed by an ultrasonogram, an MRI may help detect these stones. If you are on any blood thinners haue your INR checked. A platelet count and bleeding and clotting time may help to detect the cause. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your input. There were very few crystals in my urine. I don't take blood thinners thankfully. They recommend I take daily aspirin but I tried that and found I was bruising way too easily so I stopped. Only take a single aspirin once every couple months for a headache.

At my PCP appt. blood work was done as well as urine. Blood in urine was 4+ which I guess isn't good. I'm not anemic so that answers my question but my B12 and D were extremely low. On prescription D now and high B12 for 3 months.

Will see the urologist on 6 Feb. Hope he finds the answer this time round.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Bladder papillomas can cause frank bleeding into the urine. Also, hope liver function tests were done? Liver disorders can increase bleeding tendencies. Check meticulously your medications list, it could be a side effect. In the meantime supplement your diet with green leafy vegetables and plenty of fresh fruits to prevent anemia. Take Care and keep me posted.
Thank you for responding again. I know your time is limited.

My bladder checked out fine, all kidney tests looked fine. My blood work showed no anemia thankfully although that's easy enough to fix. The only med I take is a CCB for my heart and that's only occasional when my heart is being very erratic. I can take it to calm down my heart.

No, liver tests were not done. Interesting since I had mentioned from the beginning that the urine issue started around the same time I'd had a week of being ill: fever spikes, fatigue, nausea, light stools, dark urine. I went in only because the urine never turned back to normal.

Saw the urologist, still have blood in the urine but on the day I was tested, it was better: 3+ and <50.  He told me just to drink more water and come back in a year. Water is always good and it will make my urine prettier LOL but it still doesn't explain the source of blood in the urine. I'm giving up at this point unless there's a drastic change.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Don't give up. Re check your blood counts, clotting parameters and liver function tests. It should give a clue. Good Luck.
Thank you very much for caring so much.