Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
At what level of creatinine the dialysis required

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My Father In Law, 67 years, has been suffering from Diabetes for over 20 years. Recently, he took her blood tests and found that her Creatinine level has shot up to 4.1

What I wanted to know was:

1) Can this creatinine level be brought down?
2) If not, can this be maintained?
3) Is there a prescribed diet or exercise for this?
4) Can he prevent the kidney from further damage?
5) At what level is dialysis required? Can this be avoided?

Thanks,

Sudip

Glad to see an online forum for this disease. I had a question pertaining to my mother. She is 67 and has been on dialysis for a little over a month (24th July, 2012). Although we see a minimal visible difference, she is still very weak and drowsy. Moreover, the fistula on her left arm (operated on April 24th, 2012) is not working (no reason cited for this despite 4 reviews) and we have been asked to get another fistula done on the right arm. Our fear is that this one may not work too. Please advise. We are really at our wit's end and would latch on to anything for hope of a better life of our mother.
Hi My father 47 year old has been suffering diabetes and kidney Failer so doctors advice kidney transplant for him after the one year transplant my father condition is not very well he is creatinine level is 4.5 please advice  I m help less
I had problems with the one in my arm as the veins were so poor.  They put one high up in my upper thigh, using a graft instead (long loop of something like hose) I dont know what the material they used is, obviously not hose lol, but is quite thick. It works brilliantly. Perpahs ask about it, its called an AV fistula graft - used for crappy veins!