Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Atrophic kidney
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Atrophic kidney

I was just told today by my urologist that I have an atrophic left kidney. He said there was basically nothing he could do but suggested that I see a nephrologist because I do have swelling in my ankles. Does anyone know anything about this and what it means?
Related Discussions
Heya,
My understanding..which could be wrong here... is a kidney that is diminished in size because of inadequate circulation and or loss of nephrons.  

If your kidney is not emptying, then this would explain your swollen ankles.  I read an american survey somewhere of 75 people diagnosed with this condition that said it was related to high blood pressure, i am by no means saying this is the cause of your condition, maybe you could check that out with your G.P.

A friend who had this condition which was caused by high blood pressure, or so she was told, her kidney just shrank, but she had no surgery to remove the remaining mass.
she did not suffer any pain, and even now some years later lives a pain free life to the full.

I would however suggest that you write down your fears and questions and visit your G.P if only to help with the worry.

I hope this has helped a little, and hope you are ok
Triksy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949