Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
BLOCKAGE IN LEFT URETER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

BLOCKAGE IN LEFT URETER

I HAVE JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH A PARTIAL OBSTRUCTION IN THE LEFT URETER, BOTH OF MY KIDNEYS ARE SLUGGISH AND HAVE HAD INCREDIBLE PAIN, CHILLS, FATIGUE, LOSS OF APPETITIE...
I AM DUE TO HAVE A CT UROGRAM RENAL SCAN WITH IVP ON THURSDAY TO DETERMINE WHAT THIS BLOCKAGE IS, AND HOPEFULLY WHAT CAN BE DONE...
THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER MY CREATININE LEVEL HAS BEEN GETTING HIGHER, AND MY GFR LEVEL LOWER, RIGHT NOW IT IS AT 49, BUT AT ONE POINT IT WAS 41...
MY DOCTOR WAS NOT EXPECTING TO FIND ANYTHING FRANKLY, YET A NUCLEAR SCAN OF MY KIDNEY'S WAS DONE A WEEK AGO TUESDAY, AND THEN THIS OBSTRUCTION WAS FOUND...
THE ONE CONSTANT THROUGHOUT THIS SUMMER HAS BEEN THE TWO LAB LEVELS BEING NOT NORMAL, INCREDIBLE PAIN, AND YET EVERY SCAN DONE SHOWED NOTHING...
NOW, MY GREATEST FEAR IS NOT JUST THIS OBSTRUCTION, BUT THE FACT THAT I MAY HAVE SOME LEVEL OF KIDNEY DAMAGE, SINCE THIS HAS GONE ON FOR SO LONG...
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE OBSTRUCTION CAN BE ANYTHING FROM A KIDNEY STONE TO A TUMOR, AND AT THIS POINT MY DOCTOR IS BEING VERY SELECTIVE IN THE WAY HE ANSWERS MY QUESTIONS AS TO WHAT THIS MIGHT BE AND WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED...
I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT KIDNEY DISEASE, OBSTRUCTIONS, AND MY QUESTION TO ANYONE, HAS ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENED TO YOU, AND HOW WAS IT RESOLVED...
ANY INFORMATION AT THIS POINT WOULD BE A COMFORT...      
Hi Katrina,

One of the terms used for this condition is hydronephrosis.  It's where the urine backs up into the kidney and causes it to become obstructed.  There are several people who have posted here who have had surgery for this condition.  Do a search in MedHelp - type in hydronephrosis or pyeloplasty (this is the corrective surgery).  Find someone who has been through this.  They could probably help you much better than I.

There are several things that can cause the obstruction.  They are a crossing vessel, floating kidney (where the kidney floats down when standing up and causes a kink in the ureter), of coarse a kidney stone (which can be seen on a CT), and a tumor (which is the least likely).  My moto is don't worry unneccessarily.  So don't go directly to the worse case senerio.  

Let me know what you find out on th other scans.
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE...

TODAY I HAD THE SCAN DONE WITH IVP, VERY WEIRD SENSATION, AND SO NOW I WAIT TO SEE MY DOCTOR NEXT WEEK...

I WILL HAVE A TON OF QUESTIONS FOR HIM, BUT I THANK GOD THAT ATLEAST THIS WAS FOUND, BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS LOSING MY MIND, (LITERALLY) FROM ALL THIS CONSTANT PAIN, AND NO ONE COULD FIND ANYTHING...

YOU ARE RIGHT, I WILL NOT GO TO THE WORST CASE SCENARIO, I SEE THE DOCTOR ON FRIDAY, IF THINGS ARE REALLY BAD, I IMAGINE I WILL BE SEEING HIM SOONER...

WILL CHECK THE INFO YOU GAVE ME...

THANKS AND TAKE CARE