Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Back pain - Middle, lower right side.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Back pain - Middle, lower right side.

Hi, im just asking for some advice.

For a few week now this pain comes and goes. I first started to experience it in my lower back, right side. It was a sharp pain that stayed then a burning sensation, even codine didnt take it away. over the weekend i was experiencing the pain again then on the next day the pain was in the front of my abdomen, left side quite low down (there is no way that im pregnant so that isnt any answer) now today the pain is in the middle of my back as well as the right side. I have had tests done to rule out gallstones and now the doctors dont know what it is and sent me home with co-codamol, i took one an hour ago and the pain is still in my back right side. I must add that over time i have drank alcohol regulary but recently i have cut back and over the weekend not drunk at all.

Thank you for any advice.
hi if it didnt keep changing sides I would say kidney stones???  with kidney stone though it will generally be on the one side consistently, or both, but not changing sides. usually in the mid back to the side ie right under the rib cage at the back (near side) it can move to the front but on the same side. to gofrom back right to lower left is odd. Have you had a urine test done to out rule a uti?
That is a stumper. I am assuming they tested your urine too because a bad bladder infection can give you pain like that. Perhaps uterine fibroids. I have a friend with fibroids and she gets pain like you describe.

If it doesn't clear up in three days go back to your doctor and they should run some more tests. At the very least they need to run an ultrasound to check out any structural abnormalities.

Mention the alcohol use as well. That would most likely affect the liver and I have no idea what liver pain feels like.
I think liver pain is in the abdomen, just below the ribs?????
Thanks for the replies,
No I haven't done a urine sample maybe I should go back and ask for one as I'm still gettin the pain. I've had twinges all day in my right side and now I'm laid in bed and its on my left side. It started to be more painfull come this evening time.

I had a liver function test about 4 months ago and the results were fine then.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The common causes for the back pain could be infections/inflammations of the bowel, kidney disorders like pyeloneohritis, glomerulonephritis or renal colic. Others are pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometritis and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I would advise you to re consult your primary care physician for evaluation of pain. He will ask for blood tests, urine analysis, an x ray and an ultra sonogram of the abdomen. Sometimes he may ask for an Intravenous pyelogram and a CT scan.  In the meantime take OTC Naproxen for pain relief and plenty of oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Did you find out what it was