Benign or malignant?
My daughter (20yo) went to the ER this weekend due to side/back pain.  She had blood in her urine and they did a CT scan that showed she had kidney stones.  The CT also came back with the following:  "a 14-mm hypodense region anterolateral right renal midpole with an adjacent 5-mm hyperdense region.  This could represent simple and atypical renal cyst. "

This was on Saturday and they also gave her an antibiotic.  However, she still has back pain.  Is this also normal?

We are following up with an MRI.  My question is what are the odds that these are cancerous?   In reading online, it appear one has a higher chance than the other?  
I've been having quite obvious blood in my urine since the last week of July. I've had all kinds of tests including one that was supposed to show whether there were any cancer cells being shed in the urine. Did she have that done?

I've heard most people with kidney stones or kidney problems tend to have pain. For some reason I do not. Guess I'm lucky even though I am piddling rusty sludge. LOL

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Therapy for kidney stones depends on the size of the stone and the location. Simple kidney cysts are usually incidental findings. They more common as people age. An estimated 25 percent of people 40 years of age and 50 percent of people 50 years of age have simple kidney cysts. Now, the atypical cyst could also be due to bleeding into a cyst, it need not always be due to malignancy. Further investigations will help differentiate this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.