Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Blood test and Kidney function question
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood test and Kidney function question

Should I ask my doctor about my kidney function?  Data: 31 year old male; Blood panel 1 - Creatinine 1.4mg/dL, Protein 8.0 mg/dL, GFR 59.1.  Blood panel 2 (~80 days later) - Creatinine 1.5, Protein not tested, GFR 54.6.  I'm not a doc, but a quick look indicates that creatinine is high and GFR is low.  I'm short of breath regularly (good PFT/no asthma).  I also get periodic palpitations associated with tachycardia.  I frequently have sleep problems (also have complex sleep apnea).  Finally I urinate 7-8 times per day, occasional 1-2 times per night.  My doc has been focusing on the breathing and palpitations separately but by pure chance I saw those blood test results yesterday and now I'm wondering if a kidney problem may be the root cause of everything.

Should I bring this up with my doc or am I just digging a hole?  Thanks.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You should bring this up with your doctor. According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal results for GFR range from 90 - 120 mL/min/1.73 m2. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age. Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease.

For creatinine levels the normal ranges are 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL (about 45-90 μmol/l) for women and 0.7 to 1.2 mg/dL (60-110 μmol/l) for men. So, please discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you for your comments.

Update: Talked to my doctor last Friday and he had another blood test done to as the last two were some time ago.  Creatinine was back at 1.4mg/dL, Protein at 8.1g/dL and GFR was at 58.7 -- pretty much stable.  I'm meeting with my doc soon.  What else will need to be done to confirm kidney disease or is this pretty much it?  I know that if that is the case, there will be more tests to determine why.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...