Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Bosniak 2 Cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Bosniak 2 Cysts

Hi. My wife is 47 years old. She had a CT scan done which showed Bosniak 2 Type cysts. The Urologist says that these cysyts are rarely cancerous. I need a second opinion. Thanks

I have Bosniak-2 cysts, and your doctor is correct... Type 1 & 2 are rarely cancerous. Type 3 & 4, they're another story, but 1 & 2 aren't USUALLY cancerous.

Did her urologist suggest an MRI? Cysts are soft tissue, and MRI's are much better at looking at soft-tissue than are CT's (which are better for hard stuff (ie: bones, stones, etc).

My Bosniak-2's had some calcifications, which were a concern at first, but I had several operated on and removed (via renal cyst decortication) and it turned out to be nothing to worry about.

That being said, both my urologist & nephrologist have said that I am more AT RISK for renal cancer later in life, but that we'd 'cross that bridge when we came to it', as I have bigger issues at hand presently.

So to say they are not cancerous NOW, is one thing, but to say they will NEVER be cancerous is something completely different.

It's funny how doctors so very rarely talk in ABSOLUTES when it comes to cancer and the possibility of you developing it in the future... I guess it's the C.Y.A. in all of them!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my querry. I realy appreciate it. The urologist did indicate some calcification on in the kidney but was not too concerned and so did not want to operate to remove the calcification. He did say that we should monitor every 6 months.