Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Bubble or foam in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Bubble or foam in urine

I am concerned about protein in my urine. I am scheduled to see my doc in 2 weeks for a urine test.  When i urinate into the toilet, sometimes I get bubbles sometimes I don't. Sometimes the bubble disappear immediately sometimes they are there for a few minutes, or maybe even longer.  Bubbles are only on surface and never really build or tower-up where I am urinating.

I ate a bowl of oatmeal this morning with a glass of filtered ice water, and a cup of coffee.  I ran the “test” on my second and third urination of the day.

I followed the guidance on a site I found (http://www.igasite.com/symptoms/252.html) and urinated into a glass cup (i don't have a testube) and the bubbles appeared but were gone in 50 seconds. I then covered and shook the glass and got bubble/foam that began to disappear, after 20 minutes all that remains is a very small ring of small bubbles around the edge (about 2mm wide) of the glass, the middle is free of bubbles.  After 30 mins thin line of bubbles is almost gone. Maybe 1mm in spots, gone in others.  After 40 mins only the tiniest bubbles remain either in single or double width line on the surface only at the edges.

A second “test”, with urine collected about 1 hour later, similar in color, yielded almost the same results over about the same amount of time.

I am an otherwise healthy person (male 41), with no known health problems and I am not sure when this may have started. I noticed this phenomenon because I was researching protein in the urine for my wife, who is currently dealing with a sudden and serious health issue that is causing me a TON of stress for the past 3 weeks.  I am eating less, but still drinking tons of water, no alcohol or drug use (prescription or otherwise.).

So I guess I am asking do the results of my rookie urologist point to something like proteinuria, or just maybe some trace proteins my urine due to stress, or maybe nothing to be worried about at all?

I am just looking for some educated informed feedback so I can rest a little easier regarding this issue.
Why not buy a pack of urine reagent test strips that you can use to test your urine for protein.  A pack of 100 strips can be had for not too much money ($12.00 to around $50 depending on the brand).  Find them through Google. Then if you see that you do have protein in your urine, you could use the strip as evidence to show your primary doctor that you need a referral to a nephrologist.  I like the idea of using strips for testing at different times of day.  That way, you don't miss a time when you could be spilling protein into the urine.  It might happen that a urinalysis might not show any protein because of differing circumstances  at the time it was taken.  On days when you consume more protein, you might better see results.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The common causes for proteinuria are infections of the kidney/bladder, disorders of the kidney/bladder, certain metabolic disorders, strenuous exercise and certain medications. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper assessment. He may do tests like urine analysis, blood tests, X rays, ultrasonography, CT scan and sometimes cystoscopy to detect the cause for proteinuria.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.