Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Burning feeling in back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Burning feeling in back

My husband is on dialysis. Which he does at home. Peritoneal. He has not been well at all for a few months. He is short of breath. But at the hospital they could not find out why. He now has a burning sensation in his back. It hurts for him to lie down for very long. I was wondering what this could be from. A trip to the emergency was useless today. They did nothing. If they were going to do anything it was taking them to long. If anyone can give me an idea what is going on with him. He has been on dialysis for about 3 years now.
He is also diabetic and has a bad heart. He is ineligible for a transplant because of his heart.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Shortness of breath could be due to his cardiac condition. In cardiac disorders there is inadequate pumping  of blood and in lung disorders there is inadequate oxygenation. Symptoms are usually aggravated with exercise in cardiac disorders. Sometimes angina or chest pain is also referred to the back. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.