Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
CKD and ibuprofen and durogesic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

CKD and ibuprofen and durogesic

I have stage 3 CKD and use durogesic skin patches, lately have been having break throough pain and as I dont wnat to increase the strength of the durogesic patches, have been trying other things on top. Panadol is useless!!! ibuprofen is about only thing that helps.  I have looked it up though and the info is contradictory ie some sites say safe for CKD and others say avoid at all costs!!!!  same with the durogesic (transdermal morphine patches) soem say safe to use and others say not so.    Now at a loss, what is and isnt safe to use!!!  any suggestions as the pain is getting me down
Tags: ckd, stage 3, pain medications, chronic kidney disease pain
I have been told absolutely no NSAIDS, aspirin, aleve, naproxen, advil, ibuprofen (I think that is all of them). I agree that Panadol (acetaminiphen? It is called Tylenol here) is useless. For me I may as well take two M&M's.

I don't know about the durogesic skin patches. I would phone the nephrologist and ask. Or ask your pharmacist. I asked my pharmacist about the meds that I was on and they gave me the low down.

Sorry the pain is getting you down. I've been to that place where none of the medicine in the cabinet is working.
the pain is depressing :( and yet I have read that kidney pain is not usual with CKD, so go figure. I asked my gp about ibuprofen just monday and he claims it only has a short term effect on kindys???? and yet, when I went out and bought a box yesterday, it clearly says do not use if you ha ve a kidney disorder???? still waiting to see neph, had a repeat egfr yesterday and honestly had to push myslef to have it done as I dont really want to know the results!! is that crazy or what!! prob is have been on same dose of durogesic for years and I guess loke all opiods it wears out its effectiveness. It worked really well but I know if you start increaasing, well where does it stop?   The pain gets quite intense and swings between ache and stab.  I am puzzled by the things I have read that says it is not usual to get kidney pain with CKD, anyone else experience it or am I just mad?
My girlfriend had an open biopsy on her kidneys and it showed ibuprofen caused the damage.  Her doctor in Florida did some research on Ibuprofen and then did a report for the AMA.  Ibruprofen (advil and etc) is the number one cause of kidney failure of over the counter products in the Nation.
ok so lets put that one in the rubbish heap. many thanks