Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
CKD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

CKD

what is CKD? my latest renal profile shows Creatinine 2.2 and Bloodurea 60. what does it mean and do I have to alter my diet?
CKD stands for Chronic Kidney Disease. There are 5 stages. At stage 5 you are on dialysis, before that you are on a kidney diet, stricter depending on how bad the damage is. At stage 4 you would be eating very little protein for example. If you alter your diet you may, depending on the cause, be able to increase your numbers. I've bumped a thread called Diet makes a big difference. In there I explain the diet I used. I had stage 3 CKD and was able to raise my numbers enough to become stage 2 CKD. I went from a GFR of 54% to 69%. I don't know what the creatinine and blood urea mean. I was always only given my GFR which is an approximate of how the kidneys are functioning. So a GFR of 54% means that you have 54% of your kidney function. I go back in six months to see if it has risen anymore.

The diet is a bit of a bummer. For me the hardest thing to lose was the tomato. Almost every dish I made had a tomato base to it. But you get used to it, and it isn't that bad. I eat a lot of chicken.
the most reliable test for kidney disease is the egfr, what is your egfr??