CKF stage 3
I was diagnosed with CKF stage 3 in June and they are still trying to figure out why and whether or not it can be reversed.  I have artersclerosis and 80% blockages in both arteries leading to each kidney with shrinkage in each kidney.  The vascular surgeon is questioning whether or not that is what caused the CKF or even if they really are that blocked.  Meanwhile, I'm wondering what's going to happen to me.  How long before I'm in complete kidney failure??  And how long can you live on dialysis?  And who would do a transplant on someone with artersclerosis.  How long do I have to live??  I really wish my doctors would be more up front with me.  I'm on the edge of having a panic attack.
Aww I wish I could give you a hug because I know the stress and worry of not knowing and feeling like you are in the dark.

There are 5 stages of kidney disease. It sounds like they are trying to find out if there is as much blockage as it appears to be. If there is then you will continue to stage 4 and then 5. Stage 5 is when you would have to start dialysis and there are a few choices. The main 2 categories are Peritoneal Dialysis and Hemo Dialysis. I have been on both. Yes you can live a long time on dialysis as long as you know how to abide by certain diet restrictions (because dialysis can't do everything that kidneys can). It is amazing how much kidneys do and we don't fully appreciate them until we lose them.

I was on dialysis this time around for 6 1/2 years before getting a kidney transplant. I have had 2 transplants so far in my life. I am 34.

I know you are in panic mode but you are not alone. More and more people go into Kidney Failure because of eating high fatty foods and high sugar foods. In your case it is due to blockage that you could not have prevented. The cause of my kidneys failing too are by something I could not prevent as well.

If you want go ahead and email me at angieskidney @gmail.com

- Angie E
I'm really sorry to hear what you have been going through. Since your doctor is still not sure what caused your CKF, nobody could tell you the prognosis yet at this stage. A kidney biopsy may be helpful for diagnosis. Have you had a kidney scan? Are your kidneys normal in size still?
I know your pain. I have been on dialysis for 3 years now. It has had a devastating impact on my life. I have made all kinds of adjustments, and my mood swings are crazy. But here's the good news: you can make it. You will learn to take it day by day. I don't know where you are spiritually, but I have learned to keep my faith in God, and I always focus on the good, realizing that things could be worse. As far as when you would start, angieskidney is right. It just a matter of how long it takes for your kidneys to further deteriorate. I went from stage 3 to stage 5 in a year. Technically, you should already be started on dialysis. Once you go on dialysis, you will be considered permanantly disabled. You need to start think about where you are financially, and whether your career can continue while receive treatment. If you go to hemodialysis, you will need treatment three times a week. The drawback is sharp needles, four hours for three times a week, a more restrictive diet, and a constant feeling of being drained after dialysis. Most people who receive hemo do not work a 9 to 5. Peritineal diaysis id done at home. If you live a busy life, this may be for you. You stay hooked up to a machine 8 to 10 hours a night. There are no needles, and you have to do it faithfully EVERY NIGHT. The setback is peritinitus. It's easy to contract this infection. You must do your exchanges in STERILE enviroment. For some this dialysis is good. I been on it for 3 years, and I only caught on infection. I am employed, but I had to change my profession to better siut my condition. I went from being a dock foreman to a barber. All in all, my treatment goes well. There are good days, and there are bad days. I hope this information has help you. I will praying for you and family.