Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Calcifying kidneys

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Calcifying kidneys

I have modular kidneys and have a kidney stone before.  I have pain that comes from the kidney area that comes and goes.  They have done a few CTs over a few years and have discovered that my kidneys have a build up of calcium in them and it has just progressed.  There is a name for it, but I can't remember it.  The problem is... they don't know why this is happening.  My calium level is normal, it is in the high range of normal but still normal.  I am still waiting to see a specialist, but they say until then there is nothing they can do for my pain.  Do you have idea what would be causing this.  My kidney function with the 48 hour urine test looks good.  My doc has said that sometimes it won't show especially if it is only one kidney not functioning properly, until it is down to very low function.  Is this true.

It sounds to me like you might have MSK or Medullary Sponge Kidney disease!
Many of us have calcifications with the collecting ducts of our kidneys and do live with chronic pain from it.
We actually have a MSK forum on this board as well as a brand new patient forum that just started!  I hope you will come and join us and read the information in the healthpages.  I think you will be surprised to see you are not alone and find lots of helpful information.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/256?personal_page_id=30644

The New Group just formed its:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/MSK-Medullary-Sponge-Kidney-Disease/show/391?camp=msc&personal_page_id=494685

Hope to see over there!

Shelly