Can a kidney infection persist *after* a huge course of antibiotics?
I took a full course of Cipro (1000mg/day) for 15 days straight. However, I still have cramping in my sides (and the back) near my kidneys. It hasn't gone away with the antibiotics. For the past week (since the prescription of antibiotics ran out) I've also been unusually tired. Towards the end of the course, the symptoms of a urinary tract infection (the uncomfortable ones) returned, but subsided soon after. The cramps, however, seem to get worse with time.

Also: In tropical environments, supposedly infections can last far longer than usual due to the very elevated humidity.

Is there any way I still have a kidney infection?
The pain is usually a soreness, but usually once (or more) a day, I feel sharp pains in there.

There's no blood in my urine, thankfully.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could be renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. The other causes for the pain could be persisting urinary tract infections, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Please discuss this with your doctor who will do blood tests, x- rays and may ask for an ultrasonogram to find out the cause for the pain.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.