Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Could my Kidney Cyst Cause High Creatinine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My creatinine has been between 1.4 and 1.7 since Aug 2000. My doctors told me that my levels were fine. I'm now 44 years old and one of my doctors mentioned that it was high. He sent me to a urologist after running other blood tests and finding nothing. My last blood test showed my creatinine at 1.5 (let me know what other numbers you need as he ran a lot of tests). The urologist did an ultrasound and it showed a suspicious cyst on my left kidney so he sent me for a MRI.

The MRI Findings (from the report): There is a multiseptated cyst in the left renal pelvis. It has decreased signal on the T1-weighted sequence and increased signal on the T2-weighted sequence. It measures 5.4 x 4.5 x 3.4 cm. It does not enhance. It contains thin septations. There is no hydronephrosis. No right renal mass is seen. The adrenal glands are normal. There is no significant retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy. There is no ascites seen. There is no liver lesion identified. The spleen is not enlarged. The pancreas appears within normal limits.

Would this cyst cause my creatinine level to be 1.5? If yes, is there a way to reduce the creatinine level back to normal? If no, what should the doctor be checking next?

Thanks,
Jeff
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
Treatment is not needed for simple kidney cysts and then should be monitored with periodic ultrasounds. Symptomatic kidney cysts can be treated by sclerotherapy. If the cyst is large, surgery may be needed. Simple kidney cysts usually do not affect kidney function, but if it is causing symptoms or blocking the flow of blood or urine through the kidney it may need to be treated and can affect your kidney function tests .It is best to discuss your concerns with your  attending doctor. I hope it helps. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!