Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Could they be wrong?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Could they be wrong?

I peed blood once or twice in a week in August, so I went to get tested for a UTI. At the time, no UTI showed... eventually I was sent to a kidney specialist. I had blood tests, urine samples, and even an ultrasound. The tests showed my kidneys were functioning normally, though I did have a UTI by this point. Though all my symptoms had stopped. Ive now had the UTI treated, and I'm going back next month. But the doctor was convinced I must have a kidney problem as the UTI didnt show up initially. But if my kindey function is normal, and the symptoms have gone, then why would he assume it's my kidneys? Could it be something else? Can UTI just sometimes not show? (I'm definately going to my appointment, I'm just worried as I'm only 20)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,

Are there other symptoms present? I agree that follow-up to your kidney specialist is in order.  The classic urinary tract infection is usually detected in urine tests. However,  some urinary tract disorders rarely cause symptoms until the problem is very advanced. They may present as mild symptoms but  are very general and difficult for the doctor to connect to the kidney.

Blood in the urine or hematuria may be caused by infection, stones, tumors, injuries, or other problems in the bladder, urethra, ureters, or kidneys. About half of the people who have blood in the urine without pain have a disorder affecting primarily certain specialized blood vessels of the kidney or glomeruli. While blood in the urine with pain is often the result of a kidney, bladder, or prostate infection or a stone or a blood clot moving through one of the ureters or the urethra.
Treatment is usually directed at the underlying disorder. At this point, drink plenty of fluids and do not resist the urge to urinate to help prevent future infections.

Take care and do keep us posted.