Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Creatine,eGFR and Bun/Creatinine Ratio

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Creatine,eGFR and Bun/Creatinine Ratio

Could someone out there please tell me what it means to have a creatine serum level of 1.05, an eGFR level of 54 and a Bun/Creatine Ratio of 23? Lab work says creatine is high, eGFR level is low and my ratio of Bun/Creatine is normal.  I also had a fasting glucose serum level of 120.  Is that dangerously high?
A high creatinine level means your kidneys are not working properly.  When BUN:Cr exceeds 20, this is predictive of prerenal injury (kidney disease caused by change in the blood supply to the kidney).  Kidney disease or blockage of the flow of urine from your kidney causes both BUN and creatinine levels to rise.

The stages of CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) are mainly based on measured or estimated GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate). There are five stages but kidney function is normal in Stage 1, and minimally reduced in Stage 2.  Based on your GFR, you are in Stage 3A kidney disease.

Stage 1 (90+)
Normal kidney function but urine findings or structural abnormalities or genetic trait point to kidney disease

Stage 2 (60-89)
Mildly reduced kidney function, and other findings (as for stage 1) point to kidney disease.

3A (45 - 59) 3B (30 - 44)
Moderately reduced kidney function.

Stage 4 (15-29)
Severely reduced kidney function. Planning for endstage renal failure.

Stage 5 <15 or on dialysis
Very severe, or endstage kidney failure (sometimes call established renal failure).

Pre diabetes: fasting plasma glucose level from 110 mg/dL - 125 mg/dL. Diabetes - 126mg/dL and over.  Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus causes a condition called diabetic nephropathy, which is the leading cause of kidney disease in the United States.

Stage 1 (90+)

Stage 2 (60-89)

3A (45 - 59) 3B (30 - 44)
Moderately reduced kidney function.

Stage 4 (15-29)

Stage 5 <15 or on dialysis

Thanks for explaining the numbers to me and what it all means.I had a complete kidney bladder work-up just 6 months ago cuz blood was found in my urine (blood has been found in my urine once in a while for over 25 years).  Had been a few years since my last COMPLETE work up so did it again.  Ultra sound of Kidneys, dye, or whatever they inject, watched and x-rayed as it went through kidneys and bladder plus actual physical exam of my bladder with a sample sent off to be examined.---Absolute nothing could be found AGAIN!  Actually the urologist said "great looking bladder for someone your age"  Anyway another physical with numbers I couldn"t figure out unless it might have something to do with all the drugs I'm on since having a heart attack 2 years ago. Since I seem to worry about absolutely everything now (that's because I had NO symptoms of the heart attack and then almost bled to death. I didn't even know I had one till 5 days later when I woke up )Anyway, all tests were fine according to hospital and urologist so?
Thank you so much for you comment.  I appreciate your taking the time to give me such a detailed answer.  It helped me alot.  thanks again