Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Diabetes Insipidus?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diabetes Insipidus?

I started another thread about excessive urination here: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Kidney-Disease--Disorders/Excessive-urination/show/1898337.

This has been going on for 2 weeks now.  I've visited 3 different doctors in 2 different ER settings and no one has an answer for me beyond, "you're drinking too much water".  I've tried restricting my water to less than 1 litre a day and I do start to concentrate urine some but still urinate all too often (1-2 hours).  

My last ER visit the doctor said my potassium was 3.3 (just below normal) so he gave me some oral potassium which brought it back up to 4.2 the next day (don't ask why I went back).

Now not only am I afraid that I'm going to keep urinating so frequently but also worried about losing potassium and becoming hypokalemic again.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've developed Diabetes Insipidus.  I seem to have the symptoms down pat, but from what I've read the symptoms can be habit polydipsia as well.  I am trying to control my fluids but it doesn't seem to help.  

I have no insurance and am paying everything out of pocket so this is getting really expensive to find out what the heck is going on with my body.  I really wish I could get a definitive answer and get back on the road to health.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Diabetes insipidus causes excessive thirst and polyuria. This can result in dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. So, it results in hypotension and hypernatremia (increased sodium). Sometimes excess of fluid intake can cause a suppression of ADH secretion. Excessive fluid intake in dipsogenic diabetes insipidus can lead to water intoxication, a condition that lowers sodium concentration in your blood, which can damage your brain. So, based on the sodium levels in the blood a diagnosis of dipsogenic diabetes insipidus can be made.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank