Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Duplicate Kidney and Duplicate Ureters
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Duplicate Kidney and Duplicate Ureters

My daughter (15 months old) was just diagnosed with a duplicate urinary system. She had a VCUG done on Monday and during the test, I noticed the reflux in 2 ureters on her left side. Nothing on the right side. I called her pediatrician yesterday because I couldn't wait for them to call me and the only thing the nurse really said was we're referring her to a uriologist. I once again called the urologist yesterday to schedule rather than waiting for them to call me. We go in 2 weeks. Here's my concern....I know she has a duplex kidney and duplex ureters with grade 3 reflux (the pedi nurse told me). She didn't mention anything for the right side but I was the one asking questions. I should have asked. I've been researching study after study and have found that in her case with a grade 3 reflux in both duplicate ureters, the probability of antibiotic treatment is very low (about 7%). I'm afraid she will have to have surgery to correct it, which I'm okay with, but I'm very scared. She has been getting UTI after UTI for the past 2 months. She just finished antibiotics two days ago for a E.Coli infection and now she's running low grade fevers. I'm afraid she may have another UTI.

Is there anyone who has experience with a duplicate system with grade 3 reflux? What should I expect? Noone I know who has girls has had this issue so I have no support system to ask questions. In the past couple of days, my mind has been consumed with this. I need mental relief! I'm exhausted. I can't wait 2 weeks to have an "idea" of what will happen. What are the chances she'll need surgery to fix this and what age should I expect her to have surgery at?

Please....anything to help would be appreciated!