Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Echogenic mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Echogenic mass

I am a 61 year old male. I recently had an sonogram on my kidneys, prostrate and bladder.  I have no blood in my urine but the test was initiated because my brother was recently diagnosed with a malegnant tumor on his right kidney.  It was completely removed during surgery.  I have been diagnosed with a " 1.8 cm echogenic mass that appears attached to the lateral wall of my urinary bladder, with mild color flow demonstrated."  No blood was seen in my urine during a recent routine physical exam and have only slight lower back pain which I believe is caused by a L5 disk problem in my signal column...I do not think this pain has anything to do with my bladder.  I do have an occasional itching when I urinate but when I had the bladder exam it measured 221 cm before urination and 27 cm after which I am told is good flow.  A cystoscopy is recommended by my GP and have an appointment for next tuesday to have that done.  I am obviously concerned about cancer but until my brothers diagnoses have no unusual family history of such...any suggestions or comments are great fully  solicited. What is this mass and what's the chances of it being malignant cancer?  Is there anything I can do to help alleviate this condition without surgery?  Is surgery required if it malignant or beniegn?  
If it is malignant you want it out - now. If it is benign and not growing, it may be able to stay there. You'd need an ultrasound each year to judge that. I have what appears to be a cyst on my kidney and they said to just leave it unless it starts to grow. So a lot depends on what the doc. says. They may do a biopsy and take a tissue sample before deciding whether or not surgery is necessary. I did read that this is what they do sometimes when I was doing research about my cyst.

Good luck - hope you don't need it. You may want to post this on the cancer forum. This is a pretty quiet board. They would likely know more too.
I went to a urologist and he recommends a cystology to examine the spot on my bladder. My only concern is that the doc seems very young and I'm
Bly practiced for two years. He said the surgery would be done they a tube incerted put my penis. Is that normal?
Yep that's the route they go. No incision that way, you don't want to cut through the abdominal wall unless you have to. I personally would prefer a younger surgeon, not completely new, but younger. They have more practise with the modern equipement and techniques. Sometimes the older ones will do it the old way because it is what they know, but it isn't the most effective technique. But if you aren't comfortable you could request a different doctor. It sounds like they are doing everything 'by the book'