Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Effects of glucose on Phosphate levels
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Effects of glucose on Phosphate levels

My brother has kidney failure, and he's having some trouble with phosphate levels, so we've been researching a diet plan. I was wondering about the effects of glucose intake on phosphate levels - I've read that severely low phosphate levels can be induced in malnourished people if they eat too quickly, as the body uses up all its phosphates turning the sudden glucose rush into ATP. Does this mean that a diet relatively high in glucose could cause a phosphate reduction?

This is probably not something that would be a good diet, since high sugar levels are going to make problems of their own, heh :) But I was curious. Cheers.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

According to a study, both insulin deficiency and glycosuria (glucose in urine) are known to inhibit the tubular reabsorption of phosphate. Phosphate uptake by the kidneys was about threefold higher in the nondiabetic rats fed a low-phosphate diet as compared with the nondiabetic animals maintained on a normal phosphate diet. But in diabetic rats with glycosuria, there was an inhibition of calcium reabsorption.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank