Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Elevated BUN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Elevated BUN

A recent blood study revealed an elevated BUN of 24 and a nornal creatinine level of 0.98.  I urinate very frequently, and my urine is quite foamy even though a recent urinalysis was normal.  A few  months ago I discovered that my blood pressure was quite high (around 200/120).  I've been put on 30 mg of lisinopril, as well as a diuretic, and the blood pressure now seems under control but with occaisional readings still higher than 145/80.  My doctor says the BUN score is not a problem, but he works for an HMO, so I'm still a bit uncomfortable.  I have a long history of controlling severe headaches and body pains with over the counter pain relievers, and I used to take Vioxx until it was removed from the market.  Should I be concerned about kidney damage at this point? I am 62.
Tags: kidney
The normal range for BUN (at my hospital) is 8.0 - 24.0. Sounds like yours borderline high on the normal range.  The foam in your urine, does it manifest with frequency?  it can be an indication of high level of protein in your urine.  I would suggest for you to drink more water but with your heart condition that might not be the best route.  You should consult with your doctor again about your kidney just to be safe.  Prolong proteinuria can be harmful for your kidney.  *disclaimer: i don't know for sure that you are suffering from proteinuria, especially since your urinalysis came back normal.*
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? The blood urea nitrogen (BUN) test is a measure of the amount of nitrogen in the blood in the form of urea, and a measurement of renal function. Individual laboratories may have different reference ranges, and this is because the procedure may vary. The most common cause of an elevated BUN is azotemia wherein there is poor kidney function. An elevated BUN in the setting of a relatively normal creatinine (as in your case)  may reflect a physiological response to a relative decrease of blood flow to the kidney  without indicating any true injury to the kidney. Also, an isolated elevation of BUN may also reflect excessive formation of urea without any compromise to the kidneys.

Discuss this with your doctor and to diagnose kidney problems, additional tests may be done as well as a repeat BUN test would be conclusive. Take care and regards.
I have had frequent urinations and my docotor gave me a blood test which my BUN was 8.o and my urine was 300 with 1+ blood in my urine.  My lower back hurts mildy but since he put me on cipro 250mg  eery twelve hours x 10 days the pain have subsided.  Could this mean I have something wrong with my kidney's such as kidney failure.  The doctor said it was a kidney and bladder infection.  What do you think.  I am on synthroid 112 daily for hyperthroidism.  I have been taking Darvocet  4 times a day but he have changed that to Lortabs 5/500 three times a day PRN and xanax for fibromyalgia and panic attacks.  I drinnk plenty of fluids especially coke sodas.  What should I do?  What is good for panick attacks because my panick attacks has gotten so severe that it  has affected and limited my ability to drive because of fear while driving.  What is a good non-medication or medication I can discuss with my doctors so I can live a normal life because I have to drive to get to work and eveyday life.  Please asssist.  Thank you
xanax is fine for panic attacks

BUN can be higher than normal due to heavy exercise (protein catabolism), large amounts of undigested protein, and other benign causes. On the other hand it could be really really bad!!

Just kidding, don't panic. It can't be life threatening if your doctor says its fine.