Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Elevated Creatinine and BUN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Elevated Creatinine and BUN

Recently, I got my lab results back from my annual physical (my first) and was told that my creatinine and BUN were elevated.  Creatinine was 2.3mg/dL (NR 0 - 1.70) and BUN was 21.3 (NR 7.0 - 18.00).  I feel well and have no significant symptoms at all.  I must add that I am a very active recreational athlete (mainly heavy weight-lifting 4 times a week and running 2 - 3 times a week for 30 - 45mins). I also take protein supplements (about 70g whey protein) with about 2g of creatine monohydrate daily.  I do not take any other supplements and have never dabbled in steroids or diuretics.  Do I need to worry about my BUN and creatinine levels or is this normal for an athlete such as myself?  Also, if this is "normal", then at what levels should I be concerned?  Is my level of protein supplement and creatine safe for long term usage?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The history of vigorous exercises and intake of protein supplements could have altered the serum creatinine levels. In this case, I suggest you gradually stop taking these supplements and have your creatinine levels checked again. If the creatinine levels are still elevated then your GFR or glomerular filtration rate may be calculated as well as further evaluation of your kidneys through an ultrasound may be done.

Prior to blood tests, it is best not to engage in any vigorous exercises as this may alter lab results. With regards to prolonged protein and creatinine supplements, in the long run these substances may affect the kidneys.You may discuss this with your physician. In the presence of an underlying kidney disease the use of protein supplements may need to be closely supervised.
Thanks for your kind comments.  As far as I know, I do not have any underlying kidney disease.  Renal ultrasound was done a couple of months ago for renal colic and did not show any abnormality.  Are the levels that I quoted worrying or can I assume that it's likely due to exercise and possibly the supplements I've been taking? I will as a precaution stop the supplements and repeat that test.  Let me know what you think.
The most likely culprit for the elevated creatinine levels is the protein supplement you are taking.  Creatine is absorbed for use by the muscle and expelled as creatinine.  According to my lab, the normal range for serum (blood) creatinine is .5 - 1.5, so your numbers do appear to be a little high.

I suggest you do as Vanessa says -- stop the supplements and get retested.

Thanks for your comments.  As mentioned, will repeat the test after stopping the supplements.  Gotta to rethink this supplement thing.  Last thing I want is to endanger my health rather than improve it. Will keep you guys updated.