Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Enlarged kidneys in a 3 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Enlarged kidneys in a 3 year old?

My daughter is 3 and a half years old, she has been completely day and night toilet trained for a year but she recently started having night accidents and has progressed to day time accidents. We were worried so we took her to our family doctor who tested her for a urinary tract infection and sent us off for an ultrasound to check her renal function. The test for the UTI came back positive and was treated with antibiotics. The US came back stating that her kidneys appeared normal but were both enlarged and are greater than the 95centile (8.7cm) There was no sign of any scarring of the bladder and everything else appeared normal. The US also stated she may have a duplex collecting system.

Our family doctor said he has no idea what could be causing her to have enlarged kidneys and has referred us to a paediatric urologist for further consultation. We were not able to get appointment until next month. She otherwise appears normal and healthy, other than the now frequent bed wetting and day time wetting.

What could be causing her to have enlarged kidneys? Is it likely to be serious, given that her kidneys appear normal and she seems otherwise healthy? Is it possible that she just has large kidneys for her age? Sorry for all the questions but I am stressing out. I appreciate any and all answers. Thank you.
Anyone?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But if there is no evidence of hydronephrosis or cysts, the enlarged kidneys could be due to the duplex collecting system. Duplex kidney is almost always more elongated than the nonduplex kidney. MRI can help to better define the duplex kidney. Hope her kidney function tests were normal.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.