Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Floating Kidney (Nephroptosis) - how to manage pain & where to get ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Floating Kidney (Nephroptosis) - how to manage pain & where to get treatment (operation in Australia)

Hi all, I just signed up here and this is my first post.

My best friend is having a lot of pain on her right kidney....it comes and goes...she has been having it since she was really young.....and for the last 12 months it becomes more severe and frequent.....It has not been positively diagnosed as 'floating kidney' by her specialist yet and he's still trying to get her to do more tests to confirm...from reading all the articles / forum posting on the Internet there's no doubts in her mind that it is what she is having (floating kidney). At times the pain is so great that she can hardly function as a normal human being and this greatly impact her quality of life....and her renal specialist here in Perth, Western Australia seems a bit reluctant  to carry out the Nephropexy operation (via laparoscopic surgery) even if she's positively diagnosed....
She's truly a beautiful human being. I care and love her very much and I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily so she can enjoy some quality life.

So, where can she find any surgeons in Perth who is willing to carry out the operation?
In the mean time what can she do?

Many thanks from the bottom of my heart for your reply.
Hi there, I'd love to know what your friend ended up doing! I've just been diagnosed with a FK 3 days ago! I've been in constant pain for a year since I had my baby! It seems that surgery is the only option but doctor don't seem to know a lot about the condition let alone operate on it...
Hi there ,im the friend :)   and im still suffering,,,,,,,i cant ly down and sleep, i cant eat,,,,im in constant pain,,  positions i lay in play a big part,,,,,,,,its worn me down and i have no quality of life,   ive seen a kidney doc and have to have a small bowel follow thru then if thats clear ,,,,hell try and find a surgeon,,,,,,,i had an ivp that showed my kidney dropped quite alot,  its been left so long and such a long journey to get help im almost to worn out to pursue it,,,,,,,,,,,          if youd lik to email me on ***@**** i can talk some more         ,,more than happy to talk to someone going thru the same thing cheers Jules
sorry Ana thy took out my email address ,,,,,,,,,,,,ill keep checking back here if you want to no anymore,,,,are you in perth,,,,,,,,,,,im also havin lots of gastric problems ,, relally sick after i eat,  i feel like my kidneys pressing on my bowel,,,,its exhausting,,,,,,,,,, if i van get the small bowel follow thru done, and thats to make sure theres nothing blocked there , the kidney specialist will find a surgeon to laprascope me, and hopefully put the kidney back,,,,,,, ive been told it relieves all syptoms (symptoms),,,,,no one understands how debilitating this is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   Jules