Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Flying with "severe" hydronephrosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Flying with "severe" hydronephrosis

Hello...
I am going away on a long overdue holiday and I'm wondering if there are any concerns about flying with severe hydronephrosis. I have recurrent ovarian cancer and a tumor is restricting the flow of urine out of my left kidney. I am booked to have a nephrostomy tube inserted the week after I come back (Sept 5th) but my doctor never mentioned anything about flying with this condition. I'm not in much pain, mostly just uncomfortable. My latest CT scan showed this issue to be severe. Do I need to be concerned? It's only a 4 hour flight, from Toronto to Calgary.
Thanks in advance,
Becky
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If a kidney is being blocked it is definitely serious and I wouldn't go on any trip except to the nearest hospital/urologist and have that problem resolved.  When the kidney is blocked, toxic waste starts to back up into the rest of your system, mainly your blood, poisoning your body.  You get sick.
Blank
135691_tn?1271100723
Thanks for your reply. My kidney has actually been backed up for years now, sometimes mildly sometimes severe. I've had 13 procedures to insert and remove uretic stents, but the last one they put in slipped out of place after a day or two, so it was removed and I took a break from them. My creatinine has always been within normal range (last one was 68) so I'm not too worried about poisioning my body - that's what my chemotherapy's for!
I guess I'm more concerned about cabin pressure etc...I haven't been on a plane in over 15 years and I don't know if the change in pressure will affect my already distressed kidney. I'm assuming that if that were a real concern, my urologist would have mentioned that to me, but I've also learned never to "assume" anything...
Becky
Blank
135691_tn?1271100723
I just found out my latest creatinine is at 79, so this is good. Does anyone have any advice for me? My flight leaves tomorrow...
Thanks!
Blank
135691_tn?1271100723
Just incase this question comes up in the future for somebody else, I went on a 4 hour flight and was fine - no issues whatsoever.
Nephrostomy booked for this Friday...should be fun :(
Becky
Blank
Any problems with flying with the nephrostomy? I don't really feel like explaining it to a TSA agent.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...