Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Gfr Level decreasing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Gfr Level decreasing

I am a 63 year old white female and have a question about a concern about why my GFR level has been gradually decreasing since 2009.  2009 it was 48, 2010 it was 44, 2011 it was 40, mar 2012 it was 38, and July 2012 it was 34.  All other numbers on my blood tests have been good and normal.  I have been taken off Benicar for my blood pressure since my blood pressure has drastically improved over last couple of years due to doing more exercise and losing a little weight.  My Primary Care Physician has not seemed overly concerned other than to tell me to drink more water and come back in October for another blood test to see where my Gfr level is.  One other recent symptom I am having within the last 6 weeks is a feeling of being off balance (like on a boat swaying)  Is what I have described sufficient enough for me to see some sort of specialist?
34 is considered moderate kidney disease. You may want to google kidney diet and try some of that. There is a thread a ways back 'Diet does make a difference' where I go through what my kidney doctor told me to do when I was at a GFR higher than yours (mind you I was 36 at the time so they were a bit more concerned). My GFR went from 54 to 74 in 2 years by cutting out the Aleve, Advil, Ibuprofen (NSAIDS are really hard on the kidneys), and following a low potasium, low phosphorus, low salt, low fat, diet. Phosphorus isn't usually listed in things. Dark colas and pretty much every pre-packaged food source.

My kidney doctor (nephrologist) basically said that making it easier on the kidney can allow it to function better. It will help the GFR stay the same and sometimes you can gain. I am a bit of an oddity, it doesn't usually go up 20 points, but you could slow it down or hold at the current.

Good luck,
Thank you for this information.