Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Gfr level 75 No Diabetes or High Blood Pressure.?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I had a routine blood test and it showed my gfr is 75. It was 90 in 2008. I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure, no thyroid problems and cholesterol was normal. I had a few kidney infections which put me in hospital about 12 years ago. I had an abdominal CT scan with contrast about 8 months ago for an odd feeling -like a dull ache that comes and goes under my left ribs about 2 inches below my breast. The ct scan showed everything was normal. I also have a fluttering feeling every now and then in the left kidney area.. and twice in the last year I had extreme pain in abdo with nausea which lasted no longer than 5 minutes each time, however the pain was excrutiating and had me rolling around on the floor feeling like I was going to pass out. I was having palpatations recently and had an echo and ecg which were normal. There is no known history of kidney problems in my family. The doc has arranged another blood test in 3-4 weeks to recheck gfr level. I also seem to have some fluid retention around my ankles and in my hands.. unsure if this is related? I realise these a gfr is not that low in the scheme of things but the doc seemed concerned. Not sure what to think? Are lower than normal gfr levels always related to kidneys? or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this...

38 year old female..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your doctor is concerned because your GFR is decreasing. Your previous history of kidney infections could have contributed to this. Also, the episodes of severe abdominal pain could have been due to renal stones.

According to the National Kidney Foundation, normal results for GFR range from 90 - 120 mL/min/1.73 m2. Older people will have lower normal GFR levels, because GFR decreases with age. Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease.

The swelling of the ankles could be related to the kidneys. When the kidneys are diseased they tend to retain fluid and this gets collected in areas of loose connective tissue like the ankles, hands and face, more as puffy eyelids. This also called dependent edema, as this tends to shift based on the posture of the patient.

For now follow the protocol outlined by your doctor and re check the GFR values.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.