Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
HUS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

HUS

My 3year old daughter went in to hospital with diorreah (blood in stool) her blood was tested and came back negitive for everything and so did her stool sample, she began vomiting 2-3days later.  I mentioned that she seemed pale and was sleeping alot, and was told that she seemed pale because of the colour of the room and they suspected gastric enteritis. The x-ray showed nothing. After i had mentioned that she had not urinated all day the Doctor ordered some bloods to be taken (5days after admission)

Haemoglobin  3.9
Creatine         583
platelets         25
Urea               34.9
Plus she had a high Troponin load

My daughter had not had bloods since admission, her input & output was not monitored and i was consistantly told that it was gastric enteritis and that she should just stay on the fluids.
My daughter was quickly transfered to another specialist hospital and diagnosed with Haemolitic Ureamic Syndrome, she had 3 blood transfusions, haemodyalisis and peritoneal dyalisis

My questions to you are;
was my daughters life in jepody
what is a normal blood result
could this have been prevented

I do not want any other parent or child to go through what i have been through over the last month!
Sorry to hear what your daughter (as well as you and your family) is going through.  

In answer to your first question, yes, your daughter's life was most definitely in jeopardy, as HUS is considered a medical emergency.  It says a lot about a doctor's assessment skills (or lack thereof) that he/she would attribute pale skin color to the lighting in the room, when your daughter' s Hemoglobin was 3.9.  (I'm assuming that the Hemoglobin and Platelet counts are the same unit of measure in Europe as they are here in the US; the creatinine levels are different units of measure, but I believe that a normal creatinine in Europe is around 50-100, give or take).  The fact that they didn't do labs is just plain negligence.

A low hemoglobin could lead to heart failure an/or enlarged heart, due to the heart having to work harder to pump enough blood to the body to receive oxygen). Transfusions will increase the hemoglobin level, which in turn helps the body to receive oxygen more efficiently, thus lightening up the workload on the heart.

Platelets help the blood to clot; a level around your daughter's could have led to spontaneous life-threatening bleeding.  

As for prevention, the most common cause of HUS is the bacteria E: Coli 0157 (although there are other causes).  This bacteria can cause infection via contaminated food (commonly beef, although it can infect via other foods).  Prevention is by thoroughly cooking meat and washing vegetables well.

Renal failure from HUS is classified as Acute Renal Failure, meaning that the kidneys stop working temporarily, but then regain function.  However, a small percentage of cases will progress to Chronic Renal Failure, meaning that the kidneys do not regain function.

Good luck.