Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Hematuria update

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hematuria update

I've had frank blood in my urine for a little over 6 months now. Had all the tests done, no sign of a problem except for the rusty urine. Went for a follow up visit yesterday with the urologist. Same thing: blood in urine, UA Hgb at 3+ which is an improvement from before but still not normal. All he said was drink more water (I kept my mouth shut on that one since I easily drink 8-9 glasses a day, no coffee or soda) and he wanted me to come back in a year.

My thoughts: drinking more water won't make the blood go away. I did read awhile back that high BP can cause blood in the urine. Just how high does it have to be? Mine has crept up the past 6 months, sys. running around 132. Not good but not stroke provoking either. Could that be a possible cause?
no a bp of 132 is pretty good, just up a little and certainly wouldnt cause frank blood in the urine
Thanks. I didn't think it would be a problem because there are plenty of folks out there with high BP and they don't seem to have rusty urine. I'm just a bit annoyed that this has gone on so long with no cause determined. I was trying to figure it out myself. Guess I need a medical degree first. LOL

I read that high BP can cause blood in the urine but also that a kidney problem can cause high BP. And my BP has only been elevated since the blood in the urine. Guess I'll wait till something more dramatic happens and go back in then.