Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
High creatinine reading

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

High creatinine reading

Hi folks,

During my recent blood test, I had a creatinine ( I hope I am spelling that correctly ) reading of 1.7 which concerns my doctor and he has made an appointment for more test. I meet the risk for kidney problems, being I am almost 48 and have had high blood pressure for years. It has never been controllable. No matter what I have taken. My doc prescribed a new BP med several months ago ( on top of my others ) and for the first time, on my next visit, my BP was normal. At that time he also scheduled me for a blood test work up. ( My last doctored retired 4 years ago and I had not had blood work since then. My weight usually fluctuates up or down between 3 month visits,always has. Im a fairly big guy with my weight going between 225 - 235. Im fairly muscular even though I don't get a lot of exercise ( all goes the the gut :-)  I have read about some of the symptoms of kidney probs ( headaches, fatigue, problems urinating, urinating too often, loss of weight, etc.) and really the only symptom I seem to have so far, and have for years is fatigue. Im on a battery of BP meds as well as xanax and I figure much of my fatigue is due to that. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, as I wanted to give as much background as possible.

Question: Is 1.7 a really bad reading? If I can keep my BP under control is it possible to keep the damage to a point that I can live out a normal life expectancy?
A couple of other points. I eat a LOT of meat. To me it's not a meal without meat! ( I know, thats bad ) and much of it is microwavable meals, etc. ( I know, not good..but Im a bachelor and not much of a cook )
Also, before my last visit and before these test, I completely ripped my bicep muscle from the elbow. I didnt bother to worry about treating it, as at my age it really isnt worth the attempt. I mention the ripped bicep, plus the diet because I have heard ( and you know how that goes ) that a recently damaged muscle and / or a high meat diet can cause a higher than normal reading. ( My cholesterol reading was ok...just a bit off ).  Sorry I know this post is long.
I also meant to add, the night before my test ( more than 12 hours ) I had been drinking heavily at my friends birthday party, could this have also had an effect?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Creatinine is a substance in which there is little-to-no tubular reabsorption of creatinine. So, if the filtering of the kidney is deficient, creatinine blood levels rise. Therefore, creatinine levels in blood reflect the functioning capacity of the kidneys. But the levels can be raised due to muscle injury. So, repeat this test after four weeks to see how it is progressing.

The normal ranges are 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL (about 45-90 μmol/l) for women and 0.7 to 1.2 mg/dL (60-110 μmol/l) for men.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Eating a lot of meat is really hard on the kidneys and so is the prepacked foods (phosphorus in them is hard for the kidney's to process), and high potassium foods like oranges, bananas, tomatoes, spinach, and nuts. I hope it is just the torn muscle, but if it isn't consider cutting back on the meat. I know it is a sacrifice. I come from cow country. I miss a big t-bone steak on the BBQ. You can still have it, just closer to the six ounce mark, The size of your fist is about the size your meat should be, and try to put some fish in there. I personally have grown found of rainbow trout which is locally fished. Too women love a man that can cook! I knew I was doing the cooking when I looked in my husband's fridge when we were first dating and all there was is a bottle of mustard, and a jug of soy milk. lol.
Thank you both for your responses!

Paderla, I was sent for ultrasound on my kidneys and have follow up blood work scheduled in a couple of weeks. The research I have done ( on the net ) myself on the 1.7 reading puts me in the stage 3 level on CKD in what I have read. I am just hoping some of the variables I mentioned may have come into play. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Linda

Thanks for all those tips. I have to make a big change in my diet I know. I love fish, unfortunately being stuck in a TINY town in Kentucky it is hard to find it as fresh as I would like at a market ( though of course I could get off my butt and do a little fishing :-)   Im assuming a lot of the frozen ocean fish offered at the markets could be just as bad for you in the long run if they arent processed correctly. I know anything frozen looses most of its nutrients ..I assume that also goes for fish. But I shall find a way!  And yes, cutting down on beef is gonna be a toughie..but it will be the best for me in the long run I know. Looks like I am going to have to become a better cook so I can vary my diet more ;-)
I am very worried im 30 got a high test of 1.7 my dr perscribed the "pee in a collector for 24 hrs"  I read in your post that surgery and torn muscle can cause a rise in creatanin... I pray this is true, I tore and ruptured my pectoralis major 4 weeks ago and all the connecting tendons from my humerious.  3 weeks ago I had surgery where they reattached the tendons and muscle to my humerious via attaching anchors to my humerious.  Hope you have some info for me because im really scared.
I am Chronic Kidney Disease Stage III.  Have only one kidney, lost other from cancer nearly 9 years ago.   My creatinine junps up and down periodically.  It is now 1.54.  My GFR which is the important factor here concerns me, but not my doctors.  In Sep 2012 it was 49, creatinine was 1.2.  In Nov. 2012 it dropped to 40, creatinine was 1.39.  In Feb 2013 it dropped to 34, creatinine was 1.40.   Last month my GFR was 31, creatinine 1.54.    Possibly I already had an infection in my one an only kidney last year in Nov.  but it was not caught until last month.  I have finished the antibiotic therapy and go in on Monday for an Ultra Sound and more blood work.   We will see what my levels are then.  I trust my doctors completely.  If they aren't concerned at this time, I won't be.   The time when my creatinine was 1.85 and my GFR was 29 I was hospitalized.  Turned out I had an intestinal blockage which messed with my levels.  I'm sure the infection is what messed with them this time.