How long before stage 3 turns into stage 5?
If someone is diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease egfr 58, how many years can they expect to have their kidney function before a transplant or dialysis is needed?
did they explain why she has to have dialysis if is only stage 3? stage 3 is egfr of 30-59, stage 4 is 15-29 and stage 5 is called end stagae ie under 15. dialysis is then needed. I have never heard anyone have dialysis at stage 3?  It can be years from stage 3 to 5 and needing it, many dont end up progressing to stage 5 in their lifetime. In stage 3 the kidneys aer still working plenty well enough to keep the chemistry etc quite stable and so there is no need for any treatment usually at all, especially dialysis. I would be enquiring as to why they are saying this, it is not heard of
I am not sure of anything at this point. All of this was brought to my attention last night while my family and i where eating dinner. I am going to the nursing home today to speak to someone about this further. I have alot of questions that need to be answered before anyone touches my mother. This is so very new to me i have been up all night crying and thinking and looking up differant information so i can be well prepared when i speak to the nursing home.
I really feel for you, it is a difficult situation for you to have to face. Ask lots of questions, especially why they are wanting to do dialysis when only stage 3.  PLease keep me posted
MY son just turned 18 yesterday and his gfr went from 70 to 49 in 6 months.  He was taking whey protein and lifting weights daily.  The neph said to of course stop whey, decrease lifting and reduce protein intake to 50grms daily and re check labs in 2 months any have any thoughts on this.  He was born with hydronephrosis and has been well managed.  
This sounds similar to me. After repeated urine track infections with protein and blood in urine and kidney infection almost 2-3 years ago blood work recently done and my numbers are low. I'm only 25 and this is frustrating to me. I just stay positive. I am thinking about going vegan. I do not really know what happen in my life that left my numbers low. Only fear of not having kids and I would to have kids
Did it have to do with your eating habits?
HIgh protein in the diet has a GREAT influence on the accuracy of creatinine measrements, which are used to calcualte the EGFR, too much protein cases HIGH creatinine and LOW egfr.  Hence, it would defiantely need to be repeated as would be very inconclusive and unreliable. Make sure his protein stays within normal range for a week prior to his next kidney function test, or will get another unreliable read.  I think normal is 45-60grams a day, better check on that though!
My husband GFR is 8 was diagnosed with kidney failure 1 year ago and he is denial.
My husband developed kidney failure after he became toxic when the PA he was under gave him inflammatory medication " Insaids"  with lithium he'd taken lithium all of his adult life for Bipolar condition.  Although he is also a Diabetic he never had kidney failure before then. He is now in stage 4 kidney failure.
I am a 55 year old woman who has just been diagnosed with Stage III Chronic Kidney Disease.  I also have Bipolar disorder and as a result, was placed on lithium for about 6 years.  I reached toxicity once, and was switched to Depakote, Seroquel and Pristique.  Absolutely could not touch the efficacy of lithium, so I begged my new psych to put me bad on.  Mood stabilization was great, but I shook like a milkshake and could barely walk.  Couldn't live with those symptoms, so lithium stopped and I was put on a new med called Latuda...it is a lifesaver...I am also down from 800 mg. of seroquel/day to 259 mg.  I feel very good....still have my ups and downs, but that is the nature of the beast. Now that I have Stage III CKD, I am doing everything I can, with my nephrologist's help, to stop the progress of  of the disease, but I still have a concern that I will continue to digress to stage 4 and 5.  What are the chances  of that happening if I do all I need to do with diet, lifestyle, med checks and avoidance of certain nedications?  I should also mention that I do have hypertension that has been terrificly managed through meds.  Guess I am just a little scared
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH STAGE 3 JUDNEY DISEASE I AM ON A LOW SODIUM DIET AND ON MEDS FOR PEOPLE ON DYALISIS!!  I AM NOT ON DIALYSIS BUT THEY DID DO ULTRA SOUND ON MY KIDNEYS AND FOUND THAT MY KUDNEYS ARE NOT FLTERING TO MY BLADDER. THEY KEEP FINDING WHITE BLOOD CELLS IN MY URINE AND I SEE MY SPECIALIST THIS MONTH. HAS ANYONE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. IF SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS ALL MEANS   I AM AFRAID AND I HAVE PUT THIS IS GODS HANDS. ANY ANSWERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
I am in stage 3 of kidney disease!!  They did ultra sound of my kidneys and bladder and found my kidneys are not filtering my urine into my bladder!!  They also found thru urine test I have a lot of white blood cells in my urine,  I am on low sodium diet and also taking 2 pills a week for someone on dyalisis, which I am not on!!  I have high blood pressure and I was wondering if anyone else has these problems as I am scared!!
I found out last week that I am in CKD stage 3. My former doc retired and I now have one that looks 18.  The new doc sent me to a nephrologist who informed me that my numbers have been dropping for 3 years!  Yet no one told me!  I had an ultrasound on Monday and more lab work, I was informed today I need to start taking vitamin D and iron.  Not to mention lose some weight,
get some advice re the iron. My nephrologist told me that with CKD, oral iron supplements are not very effective as the kidney doesn't filter it properly (this is why iron tends to be low with ckd) so to take oral iron is a waste of time. I was told that iron intravenous infusions were the only effective way of increasing same. If your kidneys could filter oral iron you would not be needing supplements for same. Hence oral iron is just as ineffective! you need iv infusions for it
Has anyone had kd with no underlying medical problems? (Me) i was aick of being told my bloods were 'normal' so i called the lab an made them tell me my numbers..gfr was 97 last sept.its 61 now.microalbinum 1247! Serum creatine 94.protein ++++ ranges from ++ at times though.also any info on alport? Iv read a little and tested my 11 yr old for protein he had ++.(going to test him over a couple of days) im wondering if im a carrier? I have an appt with the neph early sept thanks for reading :)
I recently stopped taking lithium.  I feel the same about doing that as you do...I am level have a good life & I don't want to loose that.  I have been in-sane & I never want to go back there.  That said, the overall toxicity & now stage 3 CKD I am enduring have made it impossible for me not to try life without it.  I am going to try this & if it fails  I'll go back to poisoning my body & brain with lithium.  I have been assured by my health & mental health care teams there are some great substitutes out there.  Wish us both luck.
What do you do with baking soda?
MY DAUGHTER AT THE AGE OF 29 SUFFER FROM KIDNEY  FAILURE.HER FUNCTION WENT DOWN FAST CAUSE SHE HAD OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS AN STILL DOES.SHE HAD A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT ON A CHRISTMAS DAY.SHE HAS BEEN DOING FINE BUT HAVING TO TAKE REALLY HIGHLY PRICED MEDICATIONS EVERY MONTH.AND HAVING TO EXERCISE EVERY DAY OR SHE WOULD FEEL REALLY BAD.BUT DESPITE IT ALL SHE IS DOING FIND.    NOW ITS MY TURN,I'M HER MOM .I FOUND OUT A FEW MONTHS AGO I HAVE STAGE 3 KIDNEY FAILURE.I'M JUST LEARNING HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MY SELF.THE HARDEST THING FOR ME WAS TO GIVE UP MY COKES.I'M TRYING TO EAT RIGHT CAUSE BELIEVE ME ; I SURE DON'T KNOW HOW TO EAT.I'M HAVING A LOT OF DAYS FEELING LIKE I AM ALL DRUGGED UP AN THAT IS WITH OUT TAKING MY MEDS. I'M TRYING TO BE POSITIVE  CAUSE IF MY DAUGHTER WAS STRONG AND PULLED THROUGH IT ,THAN I CAN TO. I KNOW GOD IS THERE FOR ME ,AN I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A THING.  AND I PRAYER FOR EVERY ONE ELSE THAT IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING......PLEASE DO YOUR PART &  TAKE CARE
I have just been dx with stage 3 and an totally frightened.  I am a well controlled diabetic but have no idea how long I will remain in this stage or where or what to do.  I have bad veins and freaked out about ever having to do dialysis.  I also suffer chronic pain issues, have severe gastroparesis that flares up every couple of years, high blood pressure which is controlled, insulin dependent with a low dose level comparatively and currently have a pain pump to control pain but also use meds for herniated disc in the mid back.  Do I stand a chance to live my life out (now active at 66) without any more major problems?  Can anyone advise me?  I have an excellent kidney doctor as my regular physician and he says I am stable.He knows how I stress about health issues since I have struggled so long but I need help to understand. Special diets or routines to follow??  Please help me.  Thank you.
Use your favorite search engine (google or whatever) and search these words "Baking Soda Prevents Kidney Disease, Renal Failure and Kidney Dialysis"
The question is how much baking soda?
Also, it may not halt kidney disease but it could certainly slow it down.

This is what I found from another website:

"Researchers studied 134 patients with advanced CKD and low bicarbonate levels, also called metabolic acidosis. One group received a small daily dose of sodium bicarbonate in tablet form, in addition to their usual care.

For this group, the rate of decline in kidney function was greatly reduced -- about two-thirds slower than in patients. "In fact, in patients taking sodium bicarbonate, the rate of decline in kidney function was similar to the normal age-related decline," says Yaqoob.

Rapid progression of kidney disease occurred in just nine percent of patients taking sodium bicarbonate, compared to 45 percent of the other group. Patients taking sodium bicarbonate were also less likely to develop end-stage renal disease (ESRD) requiring dialysis.

Patients taking sodium bicarbonate also had improvement in several measures of nutrition. Although their sodium levels went up, this didn't lead to any problems with increased blood pressure.

Low bicarbonate levels are common in patients with CKD and can lead to a wide range of other problems. "This is the first randomised controlled study of its kind," says Yaqoob.

"A simple remedy like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), when used appropriately, can be very effective," he adds, according to an RLH release."

You'll have to do your own research.
I was just diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease, my gfr is 45, it has been dropping over several years. I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure, or any other illnesses, I don't smoke or drink. I can't seem to find a diet that doesn't contradict the other diets. If anyone has one, I would appreciate it.

Debby
I was diagnosed recently with Stage 3 CKD with a GFR of 40, SCARED TO DEATH,  I am 67 these figures went from 55 four months ago to 40 now. I have been reading MADLY about how long I can live what diets to do.  Your story is making me feel a bit better.  I watch for swelling in ankles, etc. and foam in urine, itching, nothing so far. except for maybe a couple bubbles in toilet. I don't eat bananas, brussel sprouts, watch my salt, don't drink that was years ago, no smoking for 1 1/2 yrs.
Doctor said it is probably age and blood pressure that reduced the numbers in 4 months, BP has always been
130/70  most of the time.
thanks for this
it really helps
sweet of you to post this
Debby, Go to Kidney Resource.com to learn more about this disease.  I have high blood pressure 200/79 and I have thyroid disease (had radioactive iodine treatment to kill thyroid} and both of these have caused the kidney problems. Stage 3.  I also am seeing a doctor for possible heart problems due to high cholesterol.   There are numerous cookbooks out there written for all of us to use.  I am using google and Amazon.  Just watch out for the weird stuff out there also.  I have given up diet coke, salt, chips and I have learned to do my own baking so there is no salt.  Watch your blood pressure because kidney disease can cause high blood pressure, which leads to heart failure.  Hope you do great and keep in touch.
Hi, thanks for the advises, My mother also diagnosed with CKD stage3 three months ago. from last 15 days she is having severe stomach & back pain, even she can't walk & difficult for her to sit due to back pain. Is this means that if she is having severe pain so this is inflammation of the process.My mother also have high sugar level & Blood pressure & she is taking medicines for these, so all these drugs can change the LFT & KFT reports as her figures changed only in 10 days. 10 days before all the figures were normal in LFT & creatinine levl was 0.89 & now creatinine is 1.17 & urea level has been increased from 35 to 70, utric acid is 12.5. what we can do.please help.
The dietary needs for patients with ckd varies, every patient is different and they change as the disease progresses.

Be very careful making drastic changes to your diet without advice from your doctor. Healthy eating is the key during stages 1-3, and most of it is common sense; avoid any excess. Reduce cholesterol and salt intake, and avoid foods which contain high levels of sodium, your doctor will tell you if you need to modify potassium or phosphorous and will prescribe supplements where needed. Stop smoking and ensure you take regular exercise.

DO NOT STOP medications previously prescribed unless you are told to do so, if you have concerns about existing medications discuss them with your doctor. However, there are a number of over the counter products safe for people of good health but harmful to patients with CKD. Products such as nsaids, which include aspirin and ibuprofen, even topical preparations that contain them such as creams rubbed into the skin. If you purchase any over the counter medications, you must tell your doctor and ask if it is safe to continue.

By the time, you progress to stage 4 you should be under the care of a nephrologist who will continually assess your dietary needs.

Finally, do not attempt any self-medication based on the results of trials on the internet. Baking soda is a prime example; it is the sodium in salt that necessitates its control and reduction in patients with ckd, the very element also found in baking soda. Patients on these trials would have been assessed for suitability based on their pre-existing sodium levels, and, monitored daily during the trials.
I forgot to mention when talking about over the counter medications, this also includes herbal supplements, including those used in Chinese medicine. The general medical advice is to avoid all herbal medications if you have ckd, not only are their contents not regulated and monitored, some are known to pose a high risk of additional damage to the kidneys.
i am 36 with extreme hyper tension that has been treated for 4 years and now i have been diagnosed with kidney failure with a level of 31 that has dropped in 4 months from 47 - no one told me about the kidney problem and now im scared to death - can someone please tell me some information to stop the level dropping further
gman0806, you will need to see a nephrologist.  He/she will want you to be tested further.  No point in speculating.  Just make an appointment and go!

_Lazza
thanks alot for all your useful posts , honestly i read all your comments , what you are saying is 100% true , that's what i was trying to tell my doctor but some doctors unfortunately wont tell the patient the right info especially those ones who magnifying things , i read about some patients were sent for dialysis while they have creatinine 3 !! this is very wrong , the right start for remedy is to know better about the issue you have in your body , coz if ppl knew the right information this will put them in the right road of recovering . when i was 2 years old only , my kidneys stopped working because of dehydration , and it ended with problems in my kidneys , and now i am 37 and i am still alive , my health is good ! i never checked my blood or creatnine , one day i made a blood check for curiosity and i discovered that my creatinine is 3 and went to doctor and he told me that i am in stage 3 , i have high blood pressure not because of my kidneys problem but because of my over weight , all what i need is to reduce my weight and watch to what i eat especially the protein , i loved eating eggs and ate a lot of them before but now i dont eat it anymore , i have to watch all the food that has potassium , i have to reduce salt , never eat mango or strawberry and be optimistic and everything will be ok , i drink everyday about 2 liters of water and that helps my kidney and i urintae the 2 liters and my body never keep the liquids and that's a good sign , i hope that you get better soon , and thanks again my dear for the good information you mentioned in your comments , they are really useful .
I feel exactly the same. I'm about your age and have 2 teenage boys and one adult child. And they all live at home and I am fearing I am not going to be around to see them start their lives and have kids. I am so depressed. Just got diagnosed yesterday and husband is not making it better. He yelled and criticized me yesterday for not conducting my dr. Visit properly and not asking the right questions and getting enough info and hasn't spoken to me since. So yes, I feel your depression. I'm hoping for a miracle. I keep thinking I'm over reacting and it's not as bad as it seems. But it scares me that my gfr went from 75 to 48 in 6 months. I'm scared that in a year I'll be at stage 5 with no insurance.
You are quite correct you can be at stage 3 and never show any signs of becoming worse.  I was only at stage 3 for just under 2 years and now I am end stage every case is totally different.

Blood pressure medication, the best way to slow down the process is to ensure your bp is very well controlled
thank you..good food ideas!..my eGFR got better after i stopped the offending medication and pushed water and cut back meet. i always was a no junk food low salt person so eating a kidney diet is easy for me…

pinapple juice! i'll try that..

i eat chicken and pork mostly..always just a little....and only a 3oz portion of a good steak once a week.

i do not eat enough..i want to gain weight.. i am too thin but have a low appetite and most days only have maybe 1200 calories..

I am 32 years old. one year back my Creatinine was absolutely normal <1, but 65 months back it was around 1.62 and i was also diagnosed with Hypertension. After seeing a nephrologist and medication it came down to 1.23 and now after 6 weeks it has again gone to 1.4. I am really worried and feeling depressed that i am eventually going to have kidney failure and gonna die.

Can someone let me know if i can control my diet, my hypertsenion etc how ling can i survive? i want to live for atleast 80 years i dont want to die so early.
How are you? It's funny that I'm just seeing this post after 2 years. I was 25years old when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and kidney disease, now i'm 30. Just stick to your Anti-hypertensives, exercise regularly and low sodium, potassium and phosphorus diets. And you will be fine. Reduce your protein intake too, especially red meat and milk. I don't eat potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, etc
Hi vaibhav,

I think you have got some wrong info. your mother is not at stage 3, rather at early stage i.e.stage 1 . Similar is the case with me 1 year back my creatinine was under 1.0 , last 5 months it went to 1.6 and now back to 1.23. My Nephrologist has told me there not a cause of concern, i am not sure if he told me the truth or was just dint wanted me to scare me.

But reading above posts seems we need  to regulate the diet with leass proteins, potassium & sodium diet.
What was your symptoms that prompted the 24 hour test and bloodwork?
I'm 43 and was diagnosed with CKD Stage 3 last week.  My creatnine is 1.48 and my GFR is 55.  This came as a shock since I've been pretty healthy my entire life.  Now I'm just in a learning stage trying to get as much information as possible.  Only instructions I was given by my nephrologist was to drink a lot of water and eliminate sodium from my diet as much as possible.  
I am in the same situation,  I am 46 years old and just found out I am in stage 3.  I am still shocked and scared to death of dying.  I need all the help and support I can get too,  so if you know of anything please let me know too.  I don't have high bp  and I am not diabetic,  so they cannot figure out why my kidneys are in stage 3 at my age.
I also have neither high blood pressure nor diabetes.  So my diagnosis is confusing as well.  That leaves the only options as hereditary or non hereditary polycystic kidney disease since I do have have a total of 8 cysts in both kidneys.  There is a test to determine if it's hereditary but my insurance won't cover the test which I was told costs nearly $10k.  
I'm 38 yrs old diagnosed  IgA nephropaty when I read all those things I'm totally scare coz I dnt know my gfr what stage am i. All I know that i'm in GRADE IV in these desease since 2010. My doc. said when you have these desease the life span of kidney is up to 10yrs  that bracket tell you will you survive from this desease? My doktor give me Losartan 50mg for high blood but my BP & fish oil 12pcs a day. Fish oil is good for glomerular coz it's like a vein/artery in kidney.
Now I'm in 5yrs now and I'm scare I still have 5yrs to determine if I will survive
My blood test show normal creatine, my cbc result is okey but rbc is a little bit low so my doc. Alway give me iron+fa to drink.. my urinalisys protein show +1 or +2 sometimes trace.. blood  trace or more...
My weight b4 53kg now 60kg. Due to too much eating..I'm not eating pork or red meat or drinking soda. Maybe it just b'coz I did not cook on my own food I just become lazy when I come back home and allowed my self to eat my mother cooked food .
Now I'm worried can somebody help me how to lose weight but I dnt know how, I want to try some natural cleasing drink that give good benifits to the body but I'm afraid to try. Due to May aggrivate  my kidney if I try.

Yes I have lost 50 lbs taking garcina Cambodia 6×more i been taking it about 9mos its all natural its safe to take with medication I think you will benefit from this product you can buy it online or at Walmart or Walgreens let me know if it works I am still taking it and what it does is before you eat take it about 30 min to 45min before you eat it absorbs any calories you intake and its a mood stabilizer it makes you happy it works like magic I was really surprised well I hope I helped good luck to you ***@**** please email me if you have any questions. Signed hopefull
friend im also suffering with ckd-3. i have only single function kidney that too gfr only 39%.  still i be happy. because  stress increase hypertension which damage kidney more. so make them happy.
My mom is in stage 5 kidney disease, we just found this out at her dr appt two days ago. Her creatinine level is 3.3, her GFR is 13, and her Bun is 30. Dialysis has been brought up this last appt. I have no idea myself, how long she can live with stage 5 kidney disease. She has had high blood pressure, and diabetes for years now. I know both are common causes for acquiring kidney disease.
I have stage 4, where do you live, I live in Rochester, MN I'm probably older than you are interested in getting to know, I'm 58 but would like to talk to you at lonewolf1957_76***@**** if interested. Do you get disability. I know they told me I can live along time if I watch my diet and stay away from sodium and watch my weight and try not get high blood pressure or diabetis. What is your height? If you write, tell me who you are because I get alot of spam. By the way, my name is Kim if you are interested
I have stage 4, where do you live, I live in Rochester, MN I'm probably older than you are interested in getting to know, I'm 58 but would like to talk to you at lonewolf1957_76 at Ya Who ******* if interested. Do you get disability. I know they told me I can live along time if I watch my diet and stay away from sodium and watch my weight and try not get high blood pressure or diabetis. What is your height? If you write, tell me who you are because I get alot of spam. By the way, my name is Kim if you are interested
I am a pkd patient with creatinine 24. I undergone dialysis this time. What do you mean &quot;if you are interested&quot;.
I have stage 4, where do you live, I live in Rochester, MN I'm probably older than you are interested in getting to know, I'm 58 but would like to talk to you at lonewolf1957_76 at the Yeah Who Place if interested. Do you get disability. I know they told me I can live along time if I watch my diet and stay away from sodium and watch my weight and try not get high blood pressure or diabetis. What is your height? If you write, tell me who you are because I get alot of spam. By the way, my name is Kim if you are interested
My labs  have always been normal until  June when my GRF went to 57.3 and my sodium was a little high.  At that point my sugar also suddenly went up.  I had been on 4 antibiotics for an eye infection.  My labs are still abnormal.  I need some advice on how to keep my kidney function from  declining.  I had 2 doctors that saw the same results and never mentioned a kidney problem but my ob/gyn just called to tell me that my gfr was 57.3 and sodium was a little high so to drink 64 oz of water daily, limit salt, and limit coffee to one cup a day if I drink coffee., and to retake lab tests in a month.  Could you give me any other advice on what tfoods I can eat  and if I should see a nephrologist?  
My recent test showed a kidney function of only 34.  It may have been caused by the Flomax I've been taking for osteoporosis.  If that's the case will my numbers go back up, or just stop going down by stopping the Flomax?
I just found out that my gfr went from 90 to 50 in a short time; hoping due to a lot of anti biotics; now I am off anti-biotics ; can I hope for my gfr to go back up/
Hello. I am a 58 yr old female. Was born with bilateral hydronephrosis, and the right kidney was removed at 3 yrs. Had UTIs and other kidney probs my entire life. Now my egfr is 9%, creatinine is up to 5.2. My nephrologist is still not ready to put me on dialysis yet. I&#39;ve been stage 5 for a little over a year now. No diabetes or high BP. But I do have primary idiopathic lymphedema in both legs and am on 4 different water pills to try and keep down the wxcess fluid buildup.