Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
How to control high creatinine levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

How to control high creatinine levels

My mother, 60 years, has been suffering from Diabetes for over 15 years. She also has high BP. Recently, she took her blood tests and found that her Creatinine level has shot up to 2.9

What I wanted to know was:

1) Can this creatinine level be brought down?
2) If not, can this be maintained?
3) Is there a prescribed diet or exercise for this?
4) Can she prevent the kidney from furtehr damage?
5) At what level is dialysis required? Can this be avoided?

Thanks,

Vikram
I am Faisal from Pakistan, i am diabetic for the last 18 years i'm now 37 years old, mine creatinine elevated to 6.7 3 months back but with treatment mine creatinine is now 2.7.

regards,
00923004481100

My mother had Diabitis for more than 14 years and she had same issues. She started her Dialysis from January 03. Well Creatinine Level 2.9 is more but still you can control with proper Diet. Best chance is to talk to Dietitian and plan her daily food guide. I am sure with strict diet restriction (she can not have certain fruit - vegetables etc ) she can maintain the good creatinine level.
Hi.
1 week ago my husband had a blood test and found creatinine level 2.7
and bloodsugar 168  is it cureable, but there is no swelling of body he looks normal but littlebit weak. please advice

Barnali
hi,
can any one can help me to reduce the creatinine level without medicine?

Inbaraj
i am a intensivist
just went through your mail
see you should look in matter like does her diabetes remain in control , how much is her urine output ,measure intake, get her urine examination done, get her weight checked ,how much is he uria . let me know the reports
call me on 09850647493 in pune
i went toxic on lithium  my creatine went up  but came down...then i had a general chemistry it wa only uop 1 point 1.3..when you get toi 2.0  and the (GFR) IS BELOW 59  THEN IT'S TIME TO SE A SPECIALIST...THE GFR IS VERY IMPORTANT AS ITH THE CREATINE...ALSO THE BUN CREATININE AND  RATIO  SHOULD BE TESTED..I THINK AS LONG AS THESE ARE WORKING THE THING WITH DIALYSIS IS WHEN THE GFR  IS OUT OF WHACK..LIKE 55  OR LESS..THE CRETIUNE IS THE KINDEY FUNSHION..AND THE GFR IS THE FILTERING PROCESS,,THIS IS IF THIS GETS TO LOW THEN YOU NEESD OF DIALYSIS....BLOOD P IS THE MAIN CAUSE OF THE CRENTINE  TEN SUGAR...BUT BOTH IS  NOT GOOD..THATS WHY YA NEED TO KEEP THE SUGAR AT BAY..

My FATHER, 65 years, has been suffering from Diabetes for over 20 years. Recently, she took her blood tests and found that her Creatinine level has shot up to 2.9

What I wanted to know was:

2) If not, can this be maintained?

Thanks,

shafee_3539***@****
hi my father has got a high level of creatinine n it shot up to 8.11 it was effected due to some medication because hi didnt have nay kind of high creatinine before in his life ,so i want to know is their any solution to reverse this sudden increase of creatinine ??
Hi Vikram,

Answer to your questions based on my knowledges:
Ans:  Yes, by haemodialysis therapy
2) If not, can this be maintained?
Ans:  It can be maintained by control and limit what we eat - protein, for example.
Ans:  Please talk to your mom’s doctor, each cases are different
4) Can she prevent the kidney from further damage?
Ans: Your mom kidney damaged from Diabetis, so it’s much more complicates case,
         since her creatinine still not too high, I belief doctor would tell your mom how
         to prevent further damage.  
Ans:  At the creatinine level 9-10 or the fifth stage (final end stage) is dialysis required !
          This is up to the patient’s decision if she/he wants to have haemodialysis, or from
          the family memeber’s!

my mother-in-laws creatinine is 2.1, pls suggest diet for her
Hi  so  sorry to  hear your mom  has  CKD.   Unfortunately  diabetes  leads  to  renal  failure  in most patients.
Based on  your mom's the  creatinine  level  (2.9)    and  her  age,  she's  in  stage  4  or  GFR  17.    http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/gfr_calculator.cfm

Only  way  to  reduce (a  tiny  bit)  creatinine is   with  dialysis,  but  even  with  dialysis  the  creatinine  will   remain high.   I've  been  on peritoneal  dialysis  for  over  6yrs  my  creatinine  usually  runs  in  the  6.5  or  higher.       Due  to   diabetes  damage on  kidneys  they  will not  improve however,  the  residual  function  your  mom  still has  can  be  maintained.

The one  thing your  mom  can  do  is  reduce  her protein  intake,  watch her  phosphorus  levels   (dairy,  nuts,  beans,  soy, processed  foods)  and  also  keep  an  eye  on potassium   (oranges,  peaches,  melons,  avocado,  kiwi fruit  among  many  more  fruits  and  veggies).

you might want to  visit   http://www.kidneyschool.org/mods/    to  learn  more  about  treatment options  as  well as  diet  to  follow  (minus  the   high  protein  kidney school  might  recommend)

Take  care!
Hi  hirah,

You  didn't  mention  which  type of  meds your dad  used.   Unfortunately  some  meds  do  damage the kidney  but  in those  cases  it's  referred  as  'acute  kidney  failure"  and in  most  cases  it's  reversible.    

I've  been  doing  peritoneal  dialysis  and  my  GFR   (kidney  function)  was  8  and  creatinine  6.5  at  the  start  of  the  med.   I  dropped  to  GFR 6  and  creatinine  7.2
  I  was  also  a  bit  dehydrated  at  the  time.  So  my  function  dropped  due to  all factors.
But,  after  I  started  feeling  better  (infection gone)  and  also  started  drinking  more  water  and  added  a few  extra  dialysis  treatments here  and  there  and  my  function  jumped  back up  to  GFR 9  and  creatinine  5.7

talk to your  father's  dr  to  see  what  the  next  plan of    action is.

take  care!
has your  MIL  seen a dr   and  has he  suggested  seeing  a dietitian?

A  dietitian  can  better  guide  her  on  the  diet. In  the meantime my  advice  would  be  to  cut  down  as  much  sodiumand  processed  foods  from her  diet.
Also  keep an  eye  on potassium, phosphorus,  and protein.

take  care!
Hi I'm 25 yrs old.  due to wrong medication my BP shot up, and so as my CREATININE level to 13 sept/2010. i had 15 dialysis. now after treatment its 5.1. i 'm not diabetic. i would suggest everyone that boil all vegges before u eat. not avoid potato, brinjal, fruit and oily food..  Exercise only when you feel well...  creatnine makes u weak.. so wait until u gain proper weight. and is there anything which i want to know then plz suggest....

Tahir
hi am vinoth my age 57 is daibetic pateint 12 yr he is test the blood the creatinine level 2.0 and then next month its 1.5  is this is how to control normal and wheather its daiyalis ah please.....reply me yes its bp is 140-70
I younger brother will be 39 monday 4-25 and he has suffered with diabetes his entire life. He is blind,heart disease,kidney disease, diabetic neuropathy. He was taken to the hospital a wk ago his bloodsugar was 1100 and his creatine came back 10 which is failure he also was in diabectic ketoacidosis.After 3 days his creatine was brought to a 6.7 and his sugars remained in the 700's. I found out yesterday that he checked himself out of the hospital after agreeing to start dialysis the next day with his kidney dr. He loed to our entire family about everything, he told us he was discharged his Dr. informed us of al the above. He was told at home dialysis is not an option for him and he said he will not do. He told me Thursday that his bladder is full but he can only dribble when he urinates of course when I called his dr. he asked me to take him back to the hospital, my brother got mad at me for getting involved and he decided to take off with a friend for the weekend to an area called cedar key we are in jacksonville. his dr. said he is critical and needs to be in the hospital. I cannot get him to answer his cell phone he said he would call yesterday when he arrived. his dr. said if he makes it back that we need to call 911 or take him to the er. I know yesterday when he yelled his sugar was high, I know he is scared and tired of all the yrs of shots,sickness,pills and being blind and now this. He was told 2 yrs ago that he would need to start dialysis and now we are at this point. I do not know what to do, we lost our Mom 3yrs ago from congestive heart failure. My brother and I are so close we are only 14mths apart. I am so afraid that he went away so he could die. What should we do? If we call 911 he can refuse the trip, if we have him backer acted what would that do. He said he is ready to go home but his dr. said with dialysis he could live 2 more yrs or longer. Please any advise would help. I feel like I let him down by letting him leave like this. Thank for any advise
My e mail adress is  ***@****
What treatment hv u taken?? Pls help and suggest me the same..(.Priyanka)
bk_agarwal2005***@****
   hello i recently went to the dentist and the dental hygenest asked me if i was sick i said i wasnt feeling well for the last several weeks and she said something was wrong with me every time she touched  my gums they would bleed she advised me to get some blood work done so i did because i had an apt w my doc next week for a hernia  my doc saw the blood work and was shocked he said my kidneys had shut down iwas at a loss my creatinine was 2.9 glucous 114 tryglycerides 1086 vldl 217 im on freak out mode now ive since had two more blood tests done and the numbers are coming back to normal but still high glucose 98 bun 15 cretinine1.1 gfr 76.6 does anyone know why this would happen. THANX STEVE
what exactly did you do it to bring it down. please explain it to us
my creatinine is 6.5 i am taking homeopathic as well allopathic doctor suggest me dialysis pl suggest me what should i do
HI Faisy,
do you know what medication you took can i get more info my email address is
***@****
Hello, I have a 6 year old daughter that was born with hydronephrosis in her left kidney and grade 2 reflux in her right kidney. Some time between birth and 1 year old her left kidney dissolved and by age 3 her reflux had went completly away. We had not had any problems until last April when she started complaining of her heart beating fast, after several trips to the ER and Doctor's office we were finally sent to a cardiologist and found out that she has tachycardia which is not all that bad but he was concered with her blood pressure and wanted her to see her nephrologist. We seen her neph and they did a 24hr ambp which showed abnormal blood pressure reading durning awake and sleepng hours we went back to the neph and they said she has secondary hypertension (renal) hypertension and Stage 1 CKD they started her on enilipril we stared out on 2.5mg and now we are at 10mg 1x daily pur last visit they put her on a fluid pill HTCZ 12.5mg and told me to have her blood drawn 2 weeks after she started the new med well I did. Her creatinine levels have been 0.7 since we started having monthly blood work 2 weeks after she started this new med it went up to 0.8. Is there any reason to be worried my biggest fear is that is going to go into renal failuar.
hi Faisal ,which treatment did you do?
SIr I Am Pakistan My Brother Kidney Problum And Cretinain 15.3 My Family is so sad sir plz Cretinan low sloution and cretainan down tips Send Plz Help Me plz plz My e Mail Id ***@****
Can you please tell what treatment you took to lower the creatinine levels
My father, 70 years, has been suffering from Diabetes for over 1 years. He took his blood tests and found that his Creatinine level has shot up to 5.45.

Any Treatment to decreace Creatinine level...?????
Plz reply hurry.....????
Dear Vikram,
I am not sure if it can be brought down, I am a diabetic since 2K and on Insulin+ medicines since 2001. I use to get foamy urine, when I asked doctor he advised me for 24 hour urine proteins check, I was amazed to see that the proteins were more than 12 Gms. I got my KFT done, my creatinines were 1.76. Kidney biopsy confirmed diabetic nephropathy.  Doctors gave me medicines to control Blood Glucose levels and Blood Pressure, I was not given any kidney related medicine. I consulted 5 different Big Nephrologists of Delhi. I reduced eating proteins to the limit of 40 Grams per day and on someone's advice I started doing Pranayama as prescribed by Baba Ram Dev, I also started taking Baba  Ram dev's Medicines for about 9 Months. I do not know what actually has worked, my creatinine  started showing downword trend as son as I started doing all this thing, now in the last six months ( without the medicines of Baba Ram dev) my creatinine  level remains 0.98 to 1.15. which is within the limits, I got my GFR Checked from Dr Lal's Laboratory and it was said to be 76. Now I have problem of frequent Night urination, I have to wake up 4-5 times during the night to Pass urine. 24 hour Proteins also came down to 3 Grams.( Perhaps it is because of eating of less proteins.)   I would suggest u to try Pranayam and u may also consult Vadhiya of Baba Ram dev. keeping BP and sugar level under check is Most Important. Regards, Rakesh
Hi Faisal,'Please tell me the treatments.Also if you leave you email so I contact you directly.

My brother(32) is having smaller size rt kidney than left kidney. And he is having pain from front side rt kidney. He is hospitalised and going on with antibiotic &, painkiller. But his creatinine level is going up and down between 1.8-2.0. Doctor said if his creatinine settles down to normal then they are going to take contrast abdominal ct scan. When i asked about diet for him he told me to cut only fruits, juices and tender coconut water. Its been 1 week since he is going on medication, and today its 2.0.
Can anyone please suggest some helpful advice.
Thank you,
Tashi
Please advice me
dear sir, i have read your comments on the same and need your guidance regarding treatment we should adopt for my father-in-law . Sir i want to interact with you after submitting the detailed reports of my father in law if possible please send me a test mail at ***@**** so that i can respond accordingly.
Regards Rajesh Uppal, Jammu
09419149613