Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Hydronephrosis in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hydronephrosis in pregnancy

History: I am a 35 year old woman who has a history of hydronephrosis (both kidneys severely distended) during both of my previous pregnancies.  I also had ureteral reimplantation (on my right kidney, I believe) when I was 4 or 5 yrs old.  I had not had any complications of the kidneys aside from urgency of urination and some childhood kidney infections after that surgery until I bacame pregnant and was in my second trimester.  

The first pg was in 2001 when I was 26.  At that time I had bilateral hydronephrosis and my urologist wanted to place nephrostomy tubes in both kidneys for the remainder of my pg (3 months).  I got a second opinion and the urologist was able to place stents in both ureters.  They were changed twice more to prevent blockage by calcification since women produce more calcium during pg.  I had severe pain throughout, but once my son was born the kidneys went back to "normal" and stents were removed without complication.  

In 2006 I got pg again at 31 yrs of age.  Again in my second trimester it was discovered that my kidneys were distended and I had stents placed.  This time things were much more complicated.  The stents were replaced as planned 4 weeks later, but then the left one ceased working after 3 and a half weeks and was replaced.  Then the left stent blocked again after two weeks and was replaced another time.  One week later I went again to the hospital for extreme pain in the left kidney and was told that sonce the stent was not working properly that I would have to be given a nephrostomy tube in the left kidney.  The tube stayed in throughout the rest of my pg and was removed after my daughter was born.  Weeks later the stents were removed.  I never did go to a follow-up ultrasound to see if my kidneys had again returned to normal size.  This was due to my discovery that my hb (we had separated during the pg) had removed me from health insurance.  We are now divorced.  I do believe that the additional stress caused by the separation, in addition to my lifting heavy boxes and furniture during moving, likely contributed to the failure of the stents, but of course, I cannot be certain of that.  

Now I have remarried and would very much like to have a child with my husband (this is his first marriage, he has no children of his own).  Not necessarily in the immediate future, but as I am 35, sometime in the next few years at least.  My concern is that I will go through all that pain again and possibly have to have nep-tubes in both kidneys based on my last experience.  That would all be worth it to give my hb a child and I had always wanted more children.  Yet, I am afraid if this will cause permanent damage to my kidneys.  My left kidney has never been the same since my 2nd pg.  It still causes me anywhere from mild discomfort, to occasional painful episodes (especially leading up to having to go to the bathroom, or at night if I sleep on that side).  I have not had a follow-up since the stents were removed, primarily because I am nervous about insurance considering anything a pre-existing condition since I was without insurance until April of 2009.  Of course, I would like to talk to a urologist before conception to get his/her take on things.  But I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that has had similar experience?  Or any advice on how or if this could possibly be prevented in a third pregnancy?  
hey i went to the doctor the other day and i founf out that my baby boy has an enlarged kidney............... it could be either hydronephrois or monoucleosis.......your baby might still come out healthy........ its just some risks that are apporaching as ur due date gets close.... they was talking bout sticking a needle down my abdmen to check my fluid dont let them do that because everything has risks. just pray n hopefully your baby will be alright.......i am 21 weeks n my baby has a kidney problem