Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
I dont know whats wrong with me. Possible kidney infection or kidney st...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I dont know whats wrong with me. Possible kidney infection or kidney stones. Looking to relate to someone or get some ideas.

Hi. I am a 20 year old female. My boyfriend and I just moved from Colorado to the NW a few months ago. Before we moved I had a really odd illness for 4-5 days. Firstly, my upper abdomen would randomly cramp intensely for about 15 seconds then it would go away. This happened all throughout the day. Next, I had fevers at night and would sweat it out while sleeping and i mean SWEAT a lot! Throughout the whole day I had hot and cold flashes.  I was on the couch all day and whenever I would stand up my upper stomach and the back of my lower head would really hurt for about 20 seconds then it would go away. Every time I coughed (i am a smoker so that might be why i had a cough) the lower back of my head would again hurt badly. I also had a loss of appetite and was physically fatigued very easily. I went to the doctor they told me I probably had an intestinal virus. I was a little skeptical just because my symptoms were so odd, very unlike any other cold or flu I have had before. But, like I said after 4 or 5 days I was feeling better and have been doing great untill now. Two months later most of the symptoms are back. The symptoms are not as intense as they were but they are still very present. I don't really have a headache this time but I am starting to feel one coming on when I cough. (maybe my headache is from coughing so much) I am not so concerned about the cough as I am the abdominal cramping and fever, chills, hot flashes. I just went to Urgent Care. At first they didnt know what was wrong with me but they now have a better idea after some tests. My urine test came back with blood in it. The blood tests they took showed that my white blood cell level was high (suggesting infection). The doc said they were going to further test my samples but that it was looking like a kidney infection or kidney stones. Im supposed to hear more info in two days. But i am a little concerned.... ok no im not going to lie im a little scared. Everyone I speak to finds my symptoms odd and the fact that my illness came back is  odd too. I just want to know if anyone can relate to me or if anyone has any other ideas of what it might be or any advice, anything! Thanks for reading. I appreciate your time.

P.S: I do not know if this is of any concern but my boyfriend had minor symptoms of the same thing when i first was sick and now has minor symptoms of the same thing again with me. (ex: headache, upper stomach pain) Weird???

P.S.S: We eat extremely healthy. We were in a lake a lot this summer so, my mom thought it could be giardia but when i brought that up to the nurse she dismissed it because i do not have severe diarrhea. Throughout the times ive been sick i have had loose stool a few times but nothing intense.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could be renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. This is more so as there is blood in the urine. The other causes for the pain could be infections of the bowel and bladder, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Discuss this with your doctor he may do more blood tests, x- rays and may ask for an ultrasonogram to find out the cause for the pain.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your answer. I did get over the episode in november but, then it happened again in december!  After a trip to the E.R still no answers! I did recover but I am now seeing an internal medicine specialist so if i do have another episode i am supposed to go see her right away and i will definitely bring up the illness you suggested. Thanks so much, your information is greatly appreciated!
sounds very much like urine infection, probably kidney. the headache would be from fever. when I get kidney infections, my whole body hurts, leg aches severe headaches etc, that is from the fever iteslef though and not the infection.  The fact that it returned would mean that it was not treated fully the first time around. will also cauase pain on urination (though i dont get that as dont pee!!!) nausea and fatigue. if left untreated it can result in scarring and kidney disease - take it from me, you dont want that!!!! stones will also cause similar symptoms but not the headaches - they suggest fever, especailly as white cell count up this confirms the cause.  It is unusual that boyfirend had similar mid symptoms but i guess certain bacteria can be passed on via sex