Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Is my kidney size normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Is my kidney size normal?

have Hashimoto for over 7 years, and just got the diagnosis of diabetes two months ago. I had an ultrasound test last month and  my left kidney length is 13.7cm , right one is 13cm length. I am 172cm(5'7'') tall Asian female. Is it the normal size? I googled and found the normal size should be less than 12cm. But I had some urnine test and my doctor said the kidney function seems OK. Since I had diabetes I feel nervous of my kidney function. Do I need to see a Nephrologist?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Going through your case it seems you got diabetes only 2 months back.

Both of your kidneys are definitely enlarged but it is good that the kidney function is normal. Diabetes usually affects in long run. So as of now I don't think your kidney has anything to do with your diabetes. But still to be assured you might as well opt for a repeat ultrasound after 3 months. Keep a strict control of your blood sugars.

May be if you are apprehensive you better see a nephrologist who might then ask for tests like IVP or DMSA scan as the need may be.

Are you having high blood pressure? Just keep a tab on this too.

Keep me updated.

Regards.
Thank you for your answers. I just got diagnosis of diabetes two months ago, but I guess I am pre-diabetes for at least 5 years. So I am really worried about my kidney function. I will go to see the nephrologist as soon as possible.
And I am also thinking of Acromegaly because of the also enlarged spleen (11.1*11.7*4.3cm), liver(17.5cm) with other issures such as taller than other Asian women, more hair on skin.  Maybe I need go to see the Endocrinologist and ask for a MRI.
This diabeic problem makes me so nervous, thanks again for your suggestion and sorry for my English.