Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Is removing duplex kidney operations complicated?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I am being plagued with UTIs for the last 2+ years, i have been treating them myself with; parsley tea, cranberry juice, dried cranberry, lots of water, half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and glass of water takes the sting out of it and helps keep the UTIs away for a little while. Doctors have prescribed me with long and short-term anti-biotics which i hate taking because it's not good for your intestines or stomach to take strong anti-biotics and Yakult/ Actimel seems to protect your innerds when taking them. I have had a scan which showed i have a right duplex kidney and a tiny kidney stone and every couple of months or weeks i get a UTI and i have been especially hygienic, but i had a few glasses of wine at a works party and bam i got a UTI or when i have sex bam i get a UTI, really annoying and frustrating.... I have to wait till i get another UTI says the doctor and then they will refer me to a kidney consultant, she said there are lots of complications with having an operation to remove all or part of the duplex kidney. I would like to know if i'm going to be on medication for the rest of of my days either way? Please help, thank you :-)
Sounds just like me, I'm sorry to say. I have duplex kidneys and ureters on both sides and have been off and on antibiotics since they discovered it at 3 years old. I'm 28 now. I just had a baby 5 months ago, and I'm nursing, and I really don't want all those antibiotics going through his little system. So I'm pursuing surgery, if need be. I see a urologist next week.
As an encouragement, the antibiotics aren't fun, but I haven't had any health issues related to long-term use, other than the occasional annoying yeast infection.
I feel for you though! I have the same problem of UTI's after sex, every SINGLE time!! So frustrating. It's like I'm being punished or something. Right now I take Septra every other day and if I have intercourse I step it up to every day for a couple days. I've been infection-free since I got on the Septra. Before that, I was on Keflex and the infections got resistant to it and I ended up in the hospital with a kidney infection two weeks before I delivered the baby. Then I had to do IV antibiotics until I had him, every day for those two weeks. What a pain in the neck!
BTW, why do you have to wait until you get yet another infection before they will refer you? Go see someone else! Why wait?
Good luck!
i too have these problems. i keep ending up in hospital on morphine because the pain gets so bad!The doctors won't seem to help!went for a scan on my kidneys yesterday and was told i have duplex kidneys on my left side but assured that this would not be causing my UTI problems but i thought i would investigate myself and it seems quite common! Am sick of living with this as i'm sure you are!Good luck hope we get sorted soon!!
I too have a duplex kidney on my right side! Iv had kidney probs since the age of 3 and only just found out at 26 about this....I have recurrent utis and am due to have my 2nd operation to remove kidney stones...I am always in a and e for morphine and currently take diclofenac tramadol paracetamol and stemetil to help with nausea...I am going to speak to urologist about having the kidney removed as it is diseased xx
I'm 39 yrs old and Just found out I have Duplex Kidneys on Right side....Doc no help didn't explain a thing just said I have cysts on top and have to go for a blood test...That was it, No man's land I'm in now