Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Just Diagnoised With Chronic Kidney Disease/Stage 1

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

7303461?1318009887
I was just diagnosed on Oct. 3, 2011 with Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 1.  I am so scared and don't won't to Google this because I always end up getting anxiety and panic when I do that.  I thought maybe talking to someone who also has this disease could really tell me more.  I am 56 and have many, many other health problems.  
To have chronic kidney disease, your GFR should be below 60 or you should have kidney damage for at least three months.

It sounds like you are doing pretty good, only being at stage one!  You are considered at increased risk, according to the National Kidney Foundation, but for your age category, you are doing quite well, I'd say!  Many labs don't bother to flag your test unless your GFR is below 60.  And the National Kidney Foundation doesn't recommend you see a nephrologist (kidney specialist) unless your GFR dips below 30.

I am quite a bit younger than you and my GFR (glomerular filtration rate) back in 2009 was 81.2.  That put me in stage 2 of chronic kidney disease already, according to National Kidney Foundation, but my doctor is unconcerned.

What tests did you have done to show you had stage 1 CKD?
Stage one is not something to go into hard core worry about. Some simple diet modifications may even correct things when the number is that high. Avoiding foods with potassium and making sure you don't have more than the recommended amount of protein each day. Probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid NSAID drugs like ibuprofen. Talk to your doctor though and they can let you know. You can live a full and happy life at stage one kidney disease.

I am 37 and have stage 3 and they are telling me that with diet modifications I should be okay into old age as long as the numbers don't get worse.

I would remember when googling that the kidney disease they are referring to is usually stage 4 or 5 which is less than 30% function. So the big scary things that happen at those stages aren't going to affect you.

I'd monitor it yearly to make sure it isn't going down, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. It would be at the same level of worry as being told your cholesterol is a wee bit high.

My sibling is in stage two due to a congenitally defective kidney, and was told she doesn't need to modify her diet at this time, just avoid NSAIDs.