Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Cysts and Bad Back Pain, are they related
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Kidney Cysts and Bad Back Pain, are they related

I have a cyst in my right kidney and constant back pain. Is it possible that the Cyst in my Kidney is causing my constant back pain? I am including below all of my medical since this started.

I woke up with lower back pain on 12/18/09, The pain was severe if I lifted my right foot off the ground more than an inch but was not really too noticeable at all other times. I could sit, stand or lay down with little or no discomfort, only lifting my right foot would set it off.  

On 12/25/09 the pain started to shift and I started to be able to lift my foot higher, however the pain became constant and centered in my lower back. It became impossible to sit, stand or lay down in any position. I was also having a numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg. This numbness would sometimes become a full throbbing point of pain in the center of my right front thigh, treatable with pain medication and a heat/ice routine.At that point I went to a chiropractor who suggested an MRI of my back.

I had the MRI done on 12/30/09 and I was still in TERRIBLE constant pain in my lower back, with the continued numbness on my pubic bone and right thigh. On that MRI they found: On the coronal HASTE sequence, 1.6 cm. hyperintense structure is present, with a thin hypointense peripheral rim. Transitional lumbosacral anatomy is present. S1 is considered partially lumbarized, with a fairly well-developed S1-S2 disc space. Using this numbering scheme, conus medullaris terminates at the superior L2 endplate level. No level of canal, lateral, nor foraminal atenosis is seen. No focal disc extrusion, nor significant disc bulge. The final impression: S1 is considered partially lumbarized

However, on that MRI the radiologist also stated a probable cyst arising from the upper pole of my right kidney. measuring 2.1 x 1.8 x 1.4 cm

I then had an ultrasound of my right kidney and that prompted another MRI with intravenous contrast. Durring this time my back lower pain became somewhat controllable with pain medication, I was also still having the numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg.  On that report they found: Impression: MRI confirms and specifically characterizes a cluster of small Bosniak type ll proteinaceous cysts in the right kidney. These are clearly benign and require no further specific imaging follow-up. No occult renal malignancy is present.

Now, the problem is that although the pain in my lower back has gotten better, it is still there. Some days it is worse than others and I am still uncomfortable laying on my right side. I am also still having the numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg that sometimes still becomes a full throbbing point of pain in the center of my right front thigh.

Is it possible that the Cyst in my Kidney is causing my constant back pain?

Please HELP!
Thank you
Debbie Ramsey