Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Cysts and Bad Back Pain, are they related

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I have a cyst in my right kidney and constant back pain. Is it possible that the Cyst in my Kidney is causing my constant back pain? I am including below all of my medical since this started.

I woke up with lower back pain on 12/18/09, The pain was severe if I lifted my right foot off the ground more than an inch but was not really too noticeable at all other times. I could sit, stand or lay down with little or no discomfort, only lifting my right foot would set it off.  

On 12/25/09 the pain started to shift and I started to be able to lift my foot higher, however the pain became constant and centered in my lower back. It became impossible to sit, stand or lay down in any position. I was also having a numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg. This numbness would sometimes become a full throbbing point of pain in the center of my right front thigh, treatable with pain medication and a heat/ice routine.At that point I went to a chiropractor who suggested an MRI of my back.

I had the MRI done on 12/30/09 and I was still in TERRIBLE constant pain in my lower back, with the continued numbness on my pubic bone and right thigh. On that MRI they found: On the coronal HASTE sequence, 1.6 cm. hyperintense structure is present, with a thin hypointense peripheral rim. Transitional lumbosacral anatomy is present. S1 is considered partially lumbarized, with a fairly well-developed S1-S2 disc space. Using this numbering scheme, conus medullaris terminates at the superior L2 endplate level. No level of canal, lateral, nor foraminal atenosis is seen. No focal disc extrusion, nor significant disc bulge. The final impression: S1 is considered partially lumbarized

However, on that MRI the radiologist also stated a probable cyst arising from the upper pole of my right kidney. measuring 2.1 x 1.8 x 1.4 cm

I then had an ultrasound of my right kidney and that prompted another MRI with intravenous contrast. Durring this time my back lower pain became somewhat controllable with pain medication, I was also still having the numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg.  On that report they found: Impression: MRI confirms and specifically characterizes a cluster of small Bosniak type ll proteinaceous cysts in the right kidney. These are clearly benign and require no further specific imaging follow-up. No occult renal malignancy is present.

Now, the problem is that although the pain in my lower back has gotten better, it is still there. Some days it is worse than others and I am still uncomfortable laying on my right side. I am also still having the numbness in my pubic bone area extending down into the front thigh of my right leg that sometimes still becomes a full throbbing point of pain in the center of my right front thigh.

Is it possible that the Cyst in my Kidney is causing my constant back pain?

Please HELP!
Thank you
Debbie Ramsey
Have you ever had the pain radiate to your side between your ribs and hip ? and sorta towards the front ? Because in my left back flank area is were im having pain and it radiates on the side between the hip and ribs and goes towards the front . plus i have constant uti's ,blood in urine (microscope ) only no visable to the naked eye !

Anyways i also wanted to ask you have you  ever been checked for possable cysts on your ovaries or maybe in your uterus or as what they call them fibroid tumors ( non cancerious)  ? because i had back pain front lower pain on the pubic bone and down both my front  thighs  i had  tumors in my uterus some of the size of small oranges . i had to have a hysterectomy because they started growing faster  . but now i feel better  about that !  and i got more problems arising now ! never ends does it lol .... anyways if you have anymore questions about those tumors or cysts in the uterus or ovaries area please feel free to email me !