Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Failure and Methadone Use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney Failure and Methadone Use

My mother in law has been using methadone for over 35 years and now her kidney's are failing.  Is it because of the long term use of methadone that caused her kidney to fail?
My kidneys are starting to slow down, as a methadone patient of 17 years and now on suboxone the doctors from the methadone clinic are not relating this to the methadone, however, what they are saying is that they would expect this of patients who have been using narcotics for years !  What is the difference??? Sounds extremely contradictory, what is methadone ???  How many other individuals are having the sme problem as this.  I really do feel that enough research was put into the cure all drug..."methadone" !  Not all of us used street drugs...prescriptions from doctors who misdiagnos the problems and cover by handing out percocet like candy so they do not have to deal with the issue at hand until surgery is necessary and then a big "OOPS...!!!